Monday, July 25, 2022

Just the Good Stuff

Today's forecast called for sporadic thunderstorms accompanied by possible hail, high winds and maybe a tornado. Sporadically. So I took the dogs to park earlier while it was just overcast and humid, and went to the gym a bit past noon. While it was pouring. I had to cut my gym time short because I'd scheduled a car appointment at the local Mavis for the annual NYS Inspection at 2 pm. The neighborhood Valvoline doesn't do inspections but the one at the crossroads of the county does. 

Or it used to do it regularly but now it only does it on certain days. And on the day I show up to ask, they have no customers in their two bays, but "Nope, we don't do them today. Come back tomorrow for an inspection." But at least they were nice enough to list two other places that also did inspections, one of them being the Mavis... This branch has good reviews so I'm okay with that.

I used to go to the local auto repair shop but too many questionable experiences have soured me on them: telling me that the check engine light code means I'll need a new engine and they'll order it from the dealership (I look it up and find that using an engine flush will probably work just as well so I get the Valvoline to do it, and the check engine light hasn't come on in over three years--no replacement engine needed); telling me I need 4 new tires but the only ones I can buy from them are Cooper Tires (not that these are bad but they don't carry any other brand); setting up a Saturday morning appointment online (and confirming via email) for a NYS inspection only to find when I arrive that they're not open on weekends... Ugh. Done with you. 

The shop would rather order brand new parts from the dealership and then charge a mark up with labor instead of making repairs. Which means that for big jobs like that, I'll go straight to the dealership because not only will it be cheaper (I called once and compared actual pricing), the dealership will also have loaner cars should the job require an overnight stay.

The gym was a bit emptier than I expected with just a smattering of teenagers and a few older folks. My sciatica seems better but not gone. The lower back is stiff most of the time, and I can't tell if I'm feeling the seam in my workout pants or that my coccyx is out of place when I'm laying on my back. It's uncomfortable, like I've sprouted the beginnings of a tail ridge that I roll over as I do the lower torso rotation. Well, at least most of my bug bites have stopped itching.

The only thing that pleases me is being able to do my two sets of pull-ups. Push-ups were also quick and easy. I skipped a few items for the sake of time. Tomorrow I won't have that excuse... And maybe I'll go to the gym in the morning and take the pups to the park afterward. Today, a cicada fell out of an overhead branch as I was walking the pups to the exit gate. It was dead so I took a few photos with my phone. And then one of my dogs ate it. Ugh. No wonder I don't let them lick my face.

25 July 2022
Stormy Monday

Precor elliptical #1
Program 2
Time: 20 min + 5 min cd (4110)
Distance: 2.06
Cal: 231
Avg Hr: 147, 198-84

HGPU 22

Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
Skip 10 one-leg hip thrust each leg
Elbow Plank 60s
Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Child’s Pose
Push-Ups 25

HGPU 22

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...