Friday, December 3, 2021

Wind Chill Friday

Even though I'm taking it easy, my sciatica seems to be progressing and not in a good way. It's enough to keep me from even attempting Seated Cable Rows at half the weight I'm used to pulling. But I can still try pull-ups. I get a slow start on the elliptical but I'm drenched when I'm done. My right glute is increasingly sore, the right calf tight and sometimes the toes are a bit tingly. Again, the gym is much more crowded than I'm used to. I guess I'm spoiled.

My brother suggested I use a liniment on my sciatica and I remain skeptical. He texted me a link to a Chinese balm sold on Amazon and as I look it over, I realize that I recognize the gentleman on the box: we have this same brand  of Wong To Yick unopened in our bathroom closet. It was sent to my husband some years ago by language pen-pals in China. I didn't know what it was because the label is completely in Chinese without any English translation as to purpose or ingredients. It's super mentholated and the older Hong Kong version apparently also contains turpentine. Oh jeeze... 

the Amazon version has an English label

I slather it on but I don't feel any differently in the morning. My brother also suggested using an ibuprofen-acetaminophen combo as a super anti-inflammatory. I'm willing to try it once. Of course, that also means no glass of wine with dinner, because alcohol and acetaminophen is a bad mix. 

Worse case scenario, I get another Rx for prednisone until I can convince my health insurance to approve an MRI 'cuz I'd like to know just exactly what the heck is going on with my back and nerves. Meanwhile, I knock out some pull-ups, basic core exercises, push-ups, air squats and finish with triceps. Snow Bird is at the Stretch Cage when I exit the Aerobics Room so I save the second round of pull-ups for the very end. It's crowded in the free weight area and I do the Rip Skulls on a basic flat bench. Too many people today! My hands are really tired after gripping the 30 lb barbell so it's satisfying that I can get a dozen reps of pull-ups.

3 December 2021
Blustery Friday & Sciatica

Precor elliptical
Program 3
Time: 30 min + 5 min cd (5484)
Distance: 2.81
Cal: 310
HR: 144-194, 114

HGPU 14

Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
Dead Bugs 60
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Child’s Pose
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Mild Mat stretch w 3 Eye Yoga

Rip Skulls
30 lbs x 15, 13, 15

HGPU 12

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...