Monday, December 6, 2021

Foggy Warm Monday

I try not to let my sciatic pain get in the way of doing the things I want to do but I also can't be reckless. So while I'm taking the acetaminophen/ibuprofen combo and rubbing a super strong mentholated liniment onto my backside, I still have to be cautious about my movements. 

Yesterday was relatively warm and dry outside so I emptied a small rack of the well-aged 10+ year old firewood, bringing some into the house and discarding pieces that had gone soft. I was careful to only carry small armfuls of newly split wood from behind the house and down the hill to the front where the empty rack sits. No problem. It's pulling the old tarp over the rack that makes my back twinge sharply. Ugh. 

I only have time for the bare minimum today, mostly because it took me longer to get to the gym. I'm tired and sore and while pedaling makes me feel better, I don't feel all that great. My plan is to do the basics and get in two sets of pull-ups. Unfortunately, I've dawdled too long and Snow Bird is already in the Stretch Cage when I exit the Aerobics Room. Well, at least I got a few reps in...

I have a televisit with the nurse practitioner at my doctor's office and she offers to send Rx's for prednisone and a muscle relaxant because my right glute still feels as if someone's punched it. Inflammation is not my friend. I'm mobile and active, but I'm dreading the idea of shoveling the potential snowfall on Wednesday. I've never minded before, but sciatica has never been such an issue before either. 

And now, "new" studies show us what we've known all along: being active keeps you young and less likely to lose your mind. Can we all sigh "duh"?

6 December 2021
Mild Wet Monday & Sciatica

Precor elliptical
Program 1
Time: 30 min + 5 min cd (5432)
Distance: 2.78
Cal: 306
HR: n/a

HGPU 12

Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Child’s Pose
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Mild Mat stretch w 3 Eye Yoga


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...