Monday, January 4, 2021

New Year, Old Routine

Today is my first workout of the new year and it's cut short because I have a doctor's appointment, rescheduled from that blockbuster snowstorm nor'easter right before Christmas. And because I have a doctor's appointment where she will be measuring my IOPs, I also cut back my push-ups from 40-50 down to 25. My right shoulder's a bit twingey from all the shoveling so maybe it's good that I only did half today.

Well, at least I get some cardio in, although I'm not going to discount all the snow removal I did this morning. While only 2-3 inches of the white stuff fell, it's enough to create an icy crust if I don't clear it to the pavement. Temps will rise into the high 30s. That's just enough to melt maybe a half inch and then tonight it'll freeze solid. Front steps, car, walkway, driveway. And then I get to the Bark Park early because pups have worked themselves into a frenzy watching me shovel the yard and defrost the car. 

There is literally no one at the park except us and the guy snowplowing the parking area. Once the pups are unleashed, I start shoveling the snow around the Bark Park shed so there's some clear "astroturf" to stand on. Eventually, an old guy shows up with his dog (they're regulars) but his dog doesn't like my pups and won't play with them. Some girls are like that. We leave because I've been there for over an hour. I have just enough time to get to the gym to do cardio and a bit of core. It's showering and applying skin-saving cream with glycerin and combing out wet hair that takes a lot of time. I get to my glaucoma doc appointment at exactly 1:45.

I complain about having "dry eye" and the doc says she can actually see the dry spots on my eyeballs. I'm shocked. I use at least two different types of drops just for dry eyes, on top of the 3 glaucoma meds that are meant to reduce IOP (internal eyeball pressure) by various mechanisms. Today, she installs a punctal plug into each lower lid tear duct to block the drainage of tears and other liquids floating around on the surface of my eye. These are temporary (lasting just a few months) and made of collagen. I've never heard of this before. 

My eyes are slightly anesthetized anyway from having the pressure check so she can just use jeweler forceps to insert the plugs. I don't really feel them at all. I just have to remember not to rub my eyes. Maybe they won't feel so tired all the time? My IOPs aren't great at 14 & 15 but I apparently have 20/20 vision (uncorrected). I'll take it! 

4January 2021
Post-Holiday Monday

Precor elliptical
35 min
Program 3
HR 91, 149-194
Cal 321
Distance 2.88

Crunches x 60 x 2
Piriformis Stretch
Plank 60s
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Plank 60s
Pushups 25
Quick Mat Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...