Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Just the Basics

I like to tick all the boxes when I work out. That's why I start with cardio, which I still hate doing. However, the benefits are too great to ignore: it warms me up and makes me more limber (and awake), and I definitely feel stronger afterward. If I left it to the end of my gym session, I might not get to it. And it's one of, if not the most important part of my routine. Nevermind that cardio exercise is being looked at as a preventative for a complication from Covid-19, ARDS aka acute respiratory distress syndrome. 

I'll ignore the folks who say not to work abs every day. "Old School" routines say every day is fine. It's also my only chance to ease hip tightness with a few "floor stretches" and relieve the sciatic discomfort that I wake up with. I've swapped out one set of fire hydrants for a modified bent knee glute kickback, limiting the upward motion until I'm sure this isn't going to exacerbate those pesky hamstring nerves. After push-ups, which admittedly leaves me a bit breathless, I calm everything down with some basic stretches. Stretching is good for the body! It might even lower blood pressure better than walking. 


I have time to do Seated Cable Rows, and I'm very happy to see the lightweight aluminum handles. I wish 92.5 lbs wasn't so heavy though, but it is. I can feel the weight lift me slightly out of my seat as I pull back on the close-grip handles. Which means doing 100 lbs is totally out of the question, even for just a few reps. It's probably bad enough that I do weightlifting at all. Even push-ups are looked at with suspicion for people with glaucoma. However, I'm not giving it up. I just have to modify my expectations and my routines. I did score 20/20 on my last eye chart exam, up from 20/25. Celebrate the little things! 

I'm never going to be some weedy, noodle-armed old lady. Frail is not in my vocabulary. Short but not frail. Aging well requires stamina, strength, balance, flexibility, and mental agility. And I'm still not comfortable with being labeled a "senior." Good grief! Isn't that for someone in their 80s?  

19 January 2021
Just the Basics Tuesday

Precor elliptical
35 min
Program 3
HR 144-187, 122
Cal 309
Distance 2.80

Crunches x 60 x 2
Piriformis Stretch
Plank 60s
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Bent Knee Glute Kickbacks 25 x 2
Plank 60s
Pushups 50
Quick Mat Stretch

Seated Cable Row
70 lbs x 15 reps
85 x 12
92.5 x 10, 10, 10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...