Monday, January 25, 2021

Weekend Exertions

Saturday, I spent over 7 hours with my son and his Scout troop at the annual district Klondike event which is a competition with 10 events, some fun (like coconut cracking) and some for skills like fire-building and ice rescue. It amounted to, according to my phone's health tracker, 4.6 miles of brisk walking and hiking in the bitter cold. So cold that my phone's battery dropped to red zone 1% twice. I had the foresight to pack 2 mini batteries and a cord. (A woman at the dog park swears by keeping her phone in an unused dog poop bag in her pocket to minimize battery power loss. It probably retains phone heat better than just a coat pocket.) This year's derby didn't have snow or sleds to push, but it was still challenging. 

The wind was painful. Alpaca wool socks (arctic thickness) helped a lot but eventually my toes would go numb if we weren't marching from site to site. I had 2 packets of hand warmers inside each glove. Most events had a campfire which provided some heat and a lot of blinding smoke. My husband was manning the Spam cook-off station which required building several Swedish logs and keeping track of competing troops. He said the most innovative and surprisingly tasty dish was Spam sushi. Spam because it was a Hawaiian-themed Klondike.

Dogs did not go to the park on Saturday so I let them have two hours on Sunday. Today, I managed to squeeze out a bare minimum workout at the gym. Because I wanted to get the pups to the park before the big dog arrived and we would have to leave. Pups got an hour today. My legs aren't actually sore from Saturday although I did sleep a lot when we got finally got home. However, my legs do react to excessive walking/hiking in an extremely unpleasant way: they become painful on the outside lower legs just below the knees, as if everything has suddenly bound up and compressed the nerves there. I'd rather have quad and hamstring soreness!

I'll a quick workout again tomorrow. And then later there will be snow to shovel. We're under a Winter Weather Advisory with an 86% chance of snow. It is January in NYS after all. 

25 January 2021
Bare Minimum Monday

Precor elliptical
35 min
Program 2
HR 147-189, 85
Cal 317
Distance 2.85

Crunches x 60 x 2
Piriformis Stretch
Plank 60s
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Bent Knee Glute Kickbacks 25 x 2
Plank 60s
Pushups 50 Quick Mat Stretch 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...