Thursday, January 2, 2020

New Year, Same Routine

I was out of the gym for almost two straight weeks so I was a bit worried this morning. But it's amazing how quickly you can fall back into a routine once you've done it for several months. Awake at 6:05, at the gym by 7:20, on the elliptical with my soft and squishy Skechers memory foam sneakers. It's the first time since I had the toenail biopsy. I don't need to wrap the afflicted area but I use two fabric bandaids to protect the nail and stitches during my workout. After showering, I peel off the protection, rub a bit of Aquaphor on it (as per the recovery instructions) and stick my bare, unprotected foot into my sock. I can see and feel a new toenail, but it looks deformed and battered, mostly because there's a lot of discoloration. We'll see how it grows out.
The elliptical didn't feel bad but I was still careful not to ram my toes as I pedaled faster. Pull-ups were more of a challenge and I only did 20. It's probably because I've put on a bit of weight with all this inactivity. Four pounds exactly. Not horrible, but not great considering it's only been a little over two weeks. If I put on 2 lbs a week, I'll be obese by the time my birthday rolls around. Ugh.

The gym is a lot emptier than I expect. It's the day after New Years and normally there's a gaggle of newbies signing up to fulfill their pledge to get into shape this year. Or perhaps, like a lot of us, we just didn't make any resolutions? There's shiny new aluminum plating along the lower wall in front of the Smith machine, stopping short of the Squat Rack. There it is still orange and chipped. Signs on the two non-functional Nexersys machines promise they'll be repaired. Uh, right. And one of the three toilet stalls in the women's locker room has been out of service since before the holidays. The automatic flush system needs more than just new batteries. Still, I'm happy to be back. 

I knock out six sets of DB superset shoulder movements, followed by three descending sets of Rip Skulls. My hands are inexplicably cold with a creeping numbness. I don't like losing control of my equipment. Warming up means returning to the elliptical, but only for a total of 20 minutes. Then a stretch to loosen all the tightly kinked muscles. Tomorrow I'll do a Pull Day, but without any pull-ups. I got a set in today. No need to rush. No need to risk elbows. 

Post-New Year Thursday

30 min elliptical + 5cd
Program 1
Miles 2.91
Calories 327
HR 142-200 (86, 90)

Cage Stretch
HGPU 20

Elbow Plank 60s
Leg horizontal scissors 60
Crunches 60/60
Bicycles 60
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

Smith Inclined Press
Bar (30) x 15
50 x 15
70 x 25, 25, 25

DB Laterals s/s Rev Inclined Flys
20 lbs x 12/20 reps x 3 sets
20/25 lbs x 12/20 x 3

Rip Skulls
40 x 12, 10, 8

15 elliptical + 5 cd
Program 1
Calories 189
Miles 1.68
HR 156-192 (90)

Mat Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...