Friday, January 24, 2020

Can't Resist the Lure

Gym rats are creatures of habit. I get to the gym and I'm a little bored with just doing cardio and core. But I'm also a bit out of shape, having taken a hiatus from lifting weights for a few weeks. I can't even do pull-ups today because I did them yesterday. I do a few pushups slowly, but having my left elbow click no matter what angle I position my arms is annoying. Eventually, the click will become painful so I stop after an easy dozen. At least I haven't lost that ability yet.

My glutes and hamstrings are slightly sore from yesterday's jaunt on the StepMill where I played with different foot positions as I climbed. Which means I'm not doing that today. Instead, after Intervals and core work, I focus on shoulders. I haven't done these in at least a week or two and the idea of moving some weight is exciting. I can't resist. But I do make sure to warm up the shoulder joints adequately with band pulls, and the "T, Y & I Raises" on an inclined bench.

Suddenly it's really crowded in the DB area with newbies and regulars alike. I hate crowds. B plants herself right in front of me while chatting with her muscley friend. Not sure if this is the guy she calls J. I'd already completed 3 supersets during the time she spent talking with Lazy Pedals and I don't really have anything to say to her, especially when I'm in the middle of a workout. I don't even nod at her. She did try to chat me up in the locker room earlier when she asked if my power had gone out. It had but we have a generator. She muttered that it wasn't worth starting it up. Um, okay. The power went out around 4:30 AM. I state that our generator kicks on automatically and she says, "I need to get that." But I'm not interested in wasting my time talking when I need to get started and claim an elliptical, preferably one that doesn't clunk.

I still need to warm up with another session of cardio so back to the elliptical. Then a good stretch before running off to investigate better, longer-lasting dog chewables. Bully sticks are expensive and didn't get past the 30-minute mark before being totally consumed. I buy a type of Benebone called the Pawplexer, which is designed to hold a small chewable stick (not rawhide) inside while also being chewable itself. It seems to work.

Friday Shoulders Plus

30 + 5 cd elliptical
Program Intervals
Miles 2.93
Calories 329
HR 141-200 (114, 92, 80)

Cage Stretch
Mid-Band Pulls 15
High-Band Pulls 15

Elbow Plank 60s
Crunches 60/60
Horizontal Scissors 60
Bicycles 60
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Slow Push Ups 15 (left elbow clicking)

T, Y & I Raises Inclined Bench
5 lbs x 15 reps x 3 sets

DB Laterals s/s Rev Incl Flys
20 lbs x 12/20 reps x 3 sets
20/25 lbs x 12/20 reps x 3 sets

20 elliptical + 5cd
Program 3
Miles 2.05
Calories 228
HR 150-194 (80, 84)

Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...