Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Happy Tuesday

I wasn't sure I'd know what to do with myself on a day I wasn't going to move any weights other than my own body. Today was my follow-up appointment with the doctor who performed the toenail biopsy, but I still wanted to get a good cardio workout in first, especially since I've packed on a few pounds over the holidays.

I'm wearing my soft, cushiony Skechers while I pedal furiously on the elliptical. My legs and back are a tiny bit sore from yesterday, which is odd since I worked chest, shoulders, and triceps. Then again, those DB Reverse Flys actually work a lot of the smaller back muscles.

Parking is haphazardly available at this medical office so I build in enough time to arrive early and leisurely cruise for a spot. This means I have 35 minutes on the elliptical, 10 for the core workout, some stretching and another 20-25 minutes of something else. That turns out to be the Expresso Bike, but only because the one I like happens to be available. The other bikes don't adjust as well for short people and the Dragon Island game is slightly different, so not as much fun. I want to have fun.

I arrive at my doc's office with 10 minutes to spare. Even though I've received several texts and emails offering me the "great time-saving opportunity" to check-in and pay online, I refuse to do so until I'm actually standing in the office. No one ever gives you your money back if you make a copay that wasn't actually required. At today's follow-up, there's no copay required. Yaaay me.

I peel off the bandage I affixed after showering at the gym and the doctor neatly snips the suture. Done! The toe is healing fine even though it still looks very bruised. He tells me that the biopsy report came back negative for melanoma. Yaaay me again! Instead, I have wayward melanin cells. When the toenail regrows (apparently what I thought was a new nail is just the nail substrate) in a few months, it may still have the thin gray discoloration running from the nail bed to nail tip (Hutchinson's sign).

While most cases of melanonychia do not become malignant, there is always the 1% that might so he advises me to keep an eye on any changes. He was more concerned about the birthmark on the side of my foot. Being a surgeon, he admitted bias towards wanting to biopsy that discoloration. And of course, I said I'd keep a close watch of it but no thanks, not doing that.

Feet always look weird
Once I get home, I proceed to massage my foot and then try to curl the digits back toward the sole. Stiff and a little painful, but if I do this every day, one of these days I might have a smaller bunion and less crooked toes. Maybe.

Tuesday Cardio

30 elliptical + 5cd
Program 1
Miles 2.92
Calories 328
HR 162-198 (85, 91, 95)

Cage Stretch

Elbow Plank 60s
Horizontal Scissors 60
Crunches 60/60
Bicycles 60
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

20 Expresso Bike
Dragon Island Game
Points 180310
Calories 70
Miles 3.36
HR n/a

Quick Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...