Friday, January 10, 2020

The Good and the Disappointing

I feel like I'm trying to make up for lost time. Or lost workouts over the holidays. Today is the 5th day in a row that I've managed to make it to the gym. Yaaay me! Being middle-aged means losing those "indiscretionary" extra 5 lbs last month is going to be extra hard. Today is also Cardio Plus Friday and I'm not sure I can do the full routine.

I start with Intervals, which is actually easier than the 3 Fitness programs on the Precor, if only because I get to slow down (and rest) for two-minute intervals. When I have to pick up the pace, I'm not going as fast as I can either. Oddly, the dashboard tells me that I'm doing the equivalent in distance and calories regardless of which program I follow. 35 minutes is almost 3 miles and a bit over 300 calories no matter what. Well, okay then.

I do side planks and my hips, ankles, and feet complain. My right pinky toe is tender from the first cardio session. Even though I'm wearing my soft and squishy Skechers, my foot is sore. I can definitely feel how weight is focused atop the first and last metatarsal instead of being evenly distributed. Massaging and stretching the tendons is making my foot even more sensitive but I figure it'll be worth it in the end.

My right elbow complains when I keep my arms bent too long. I worry this will be problematic during pullups, but everything seems okay. Except for my stamina. I get to 22, which is better than 20, but not as good as 25. Twenty-five is the threshold between being okay and having sore tendons. For my last cardio exercise, I warily glance about to see how crowded each area is. There's a lot of people standing and chatting at the Expresso Bikes. I'm not doing the Octane while my toenail is still growing back. The cross-trainer has always made my foot go numb. I guess it's back to the elliptical, but for 20 plus minutes instead of 30. I'm okay with that, especially since I like the backward pedaling for hamstrings and glutes.

Also, I did Walking Lunges. Ugh. Still, probably the most taxing and painful exercise I do in this particular routine. When my feet are more stable, I'll attempt Pistol Squats again. Maybe this summer? Because that's how long I suspect it will take for my foot to return to some semblance of normal. When I get home, I'm excited to find the new Altra sneakers have been delivered.

Hmmm. They look narrow, even with the "natural wide toe-box" and while my left foot fits snuggly inside the shoe, my right foot is squished. Amazon doesn't sell the wider version of this shoe. I would have to go to a reseller who marks the price up by several hundred dollars! Yes, it's $60 on Amazon if you have normal width feet, and over $250 if you don't. Ugh. Back they go. I have my fingers crossed that the Brooks might fit. But I have no problem shipping them back if they don't.

Meanwhile, I continue to massage my damaged foot several times a day. I'm so excited: I can discern the foot knuckles now when I bend the toes back. Two days ago they weren't visible at all! The toe is still godawful ugly and sensitive. But I don't want to lose flexibility due to scarring from the biopsy. I even show my son how to flex his toes backward to stretch the toe ligaments. Healthy feet are happy feet.

Cardio Plus Friday

30 min elliptical + 5cd
Program Intervals
Miles 2.82
Calories 312
HR 150-190 (135)

Cage Stretch
HGPU 22

Elbow Plank 60s
Leg horizontal scissors 60
Crunches 60/60
Bicycles 60
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

20 Step Mill
Level 4
Calories 128
Total steps 843
Floors 52
HR 125 (46?)

HGPU 23

20 min elliptical + 5cd
Program 3
Miles 2.01
Calories 222
HR 153-210 (135)

2:1 Seated Leg Curls
15lbs x 15
30 x 12
35 x 12
40 x 12

Walking Lunges
31 + 30 = 61

HGPU 22

Mat Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...