Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Not What I Planned

I made it to the gym today for a quick workout before my eye doctor appointment. The good news is that off the Rhopressa, my eye IOPs didn't spike. Instead, they dropped a point. Not great, but not bad either. My eyes are definitely not as crusty, dry or itchy. The doc also recommended an OTC for dry-eye relief I'd never considered before: Similasan dry-eye homeopathic drops. It contains a minute amount of belladonna, but she assured me that since my cataract surgeries I no longer have to worry about narrow angles, which means that pupil dilation is not a concern anymore.

I go back in six weeks, once the Rhopressa has totally cleared my system, to see how my pressures are. Then I'll have a visual field (VF) test to see if I've lost any more vision. Meanwhile, I'm unsure whether to continue with just this bare-bones routine or not. It's very quick, at least for me. But not very satisfying.

I dropped a few pounds over the long weekend, but not because I was good with my exercise and eating. It was more that I didn't eat or sleep because I was fraught with worry. We suffered horrendous windstorms at the end of last week, and in the midst of it, one of the rescue dogs we adopted slipped out of his harness just as I was at the front door. Then he ran away. He's been roaming the neighborhood and I've gotten calls from a few neighbors. I called the people I know who catch dogs professionally and they have set baited traps. The dog has been sighted in and out of my yard, and down the road and back. He's survived the winter storm we just had as well as absolutely frigid 4F nights.

I also got a Martingale collar for his brother who remains in the house and being part retriever, is a tiny bit calmer. I can walk the remaining pup but only by simultaneously hanging onto his harness handle AND the leash attached to the collar. He's a handful and he's the calmer dog. At least he feels safe in the oversized crate and will sleep in it at night with the door closed and latched. I'm told the other dog, the runaway, is allergic to being confined. Not sure what I'll do once we get him home...

All this is a major lesson in zen patience because the worst thing you can do is chase after a dog who's afraid of people. I've heard countless stories of well-meaning rescue groups hunting, tracking, chasing runaway dogs, only to drive them into busy thoroughfares with the ultimate horrifying result of the dog being hit and killed by a car.

Bare Minimum Tuesday Lifting Hiatus

30 min elliptical + 5cd
Program 2
Miles 2.85
Calories 314
HR 145-196 (129, 97, 91)

Cage Stretch

Crunches 60/60
Bicycles 60
Elbow Plank 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...