Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Resisting Temptation

I saw my eye doctor yesterday and my IOPs were 3 points higher than last time. My eyes have also been dry, itchy and crusty. Ick. The doc suggested I stop taking the Rhopressa eye drops and return next week to see if my pressures are lower and if the allergic reaction I'm having subsides. I'm pretty sure I need to drop my weightlifting routine as well. I've gotten cocky and in my haste to regain some semblance of fitness after my toenail biopsy, I've pushed a little harder with the weights. Which would be fine for someone who doesn't have glaucoma. However, that's not me.

Today I got to the gym an hour later than usual because I went to the Home Depot to shop for storage bins for all the dog food I've recently acquired. I suspect I've got enough to last several months, as long as I can keep it from going stale (once opened) and safe from rodents. Very few stores are open at 7 AM. Luckily, Home Depot is one of them. The gym is a lot more crowded at 8 AM and I don't get my favorite elliptical, the one with the smooth glide motion. Intervals seem appropriate for today. While I'm pedaling, I get several texts, photos and videos of the dogs I'm adopting. They're in transit first to Seoul and then to the US. They look anxious, confused and concerned. I'm glad they have each other for comfort.

Normally I'd do a Pull Day and part of me thinks I can just do light weights. But it's hard not to feel ridiculous pulling easy weights when you know you can pull so much heavier. The temptation is too great and I've had trouble resisting before. I'm much safer creating a plan just to do cardio until my next appointment. Or cardio, core, pullups and stretching.

I'm bored so during my third pullup set, I decide to widen my grip. It's harder than it sounds if only because I have no control over how far I can place my hands in the hammer grip position, i.e., I can only place them where there are bars to grip. I'm not brave enough to go two full spaces out, one space to the left and one to the right, making it symmetrical. Instead, I only go out one space to the left. Because the Stretch Cage has a curved roof, the bars are a shorter distance the further out they go. My left arm has less distance to bridge and it's a lop-sided pullup. But it doesn't feel all that hard or different from a normal one. Next time I'll actually move out a space on both sides so my hand position will be wider than my shoulders. This will make it more difficult, but like I said, just doing cardio is boring.

Meanwhile, I did manage to stream Joker. What an intensely disturbing movie. And yeah, Joaquin Phoenix is amazing. Amazingly creepy. I'm going to have to watch it a second time now that I've viewed some videos discussing the jokes and easter eggs. I've pasted them here and you can make up your own mind. But first, that iconic staircase dance:




And now, two interesting and insightful commentary videos. Only have time or patience for one? View the one directly below by Eman's Movie Reviews.




Want to kill more time. Watch the next video which rehashes some old info but adds a few new items...



Cardio Wednesday Lifting Hiatus

30 min elliptical + 5cd
Program Intervals
Miles 2.91
Calories 326
HR 141-205 (88)

Elbow Plank 60s
Leg horizontal scissors 60
Crunches 60/60
Bicycles 60
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

Cage Stretch
HGPU 22

20 Step Mill
Level 4
Calories 130
Total steps 856
Floors 53
HR 138-250 (125)

HGPU 22

20 min elliptical + 5cd
Program 3
Miles 2.04
Calories 226
HR 143-190 (85)

HGPU wider 20 left

Mat Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...