Saturday, December 28, 2019

Random Info

I finally discovered an explanation for METs, which shows up on most cardio equipment dashboards and has always baffled me. And of course, now a way to quantify the benefits of that exercise. Click here for the article.

The two times I had the flu so bad it was memorable were in 1977-78 (Russian flu) and in 1986 (Taiwan flu). Both, as it turns out, were of the A H1N1 variety. I'm not sure of what flu I first contracted as a wee child though. A new study indicates that first exposure to a specific variety of flu may be protective, i.e., your body retains a semblance of immunity (contrary to current beliefs) that may prevent more severe infections. I still got the flu shot this year as a recent study shows that previous vaccinations can be protective far longer than just the year they are given.

The body's own biome can determine whether you develop certain cancers. While we are all aware of recalcitrant staph and strep infections, fungi appear to be especially dangerous, predisposing the human body to, if not actually causing, pancreatic cancer. A common yeast is the culprit!

(An aside: Grammarly software insists that I use the word "too" after "predisposing the human body..." and that makes absolutely no sense. Grammarly also insists that I change "the culprit" to "a culprit" and will harass me until I actually publish this post. Yes, I'm using the free version, but these "corrections" do not instill enough confidence in their software for me to even consider shelling out money for their premium version. But it's useful as a spellchecker.) 

On Christmas Eve, my husband and I took our son to his first Christian service not associated with a wedding or a funeral. For years my husband, who was baptized Anglican, has spoken of visiting the local Episcopalian Church. I have a fond recollection of visiting a Christmas Eve service when I was a teenager living in a Jewish neighborhood. My non-observant (secular) friends and I had no place to be so we stepped into a brightly lit, well-attended service where the congregation had imported a "fire-and-brimstone" preacher from Australia who basically told us we were all going to hell.

The service my family attended, by contrast, was mild and joyous, with an adorable Christmas pageant performed by tiny children. But it was the singing of hymns that gave me the best feeling. My grandmother, raised Lutheran, used to sing hymns as she tried to teach me to play the small electric organ she had in her bedroom. An article about the power of song and music to resuscitate memory in those suffering from Alzheimer's disease seems relevant. I have CDs for all the musicals my parents used to see, and yes, I know the lyrics and sing along when no one is listening.

Finally, to end this post, a link to an extremely informative article from a new online "newsletter" about how and why exercise benefits our bodies. It's more than the usual "it's good because you burn calories and intake more oxygen" mantra which just seems trite at this point. In short, it's "Exercise as Medicine."

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...