Monday, January 13, 2020

Another Monday

Yesterday I got to sleep in, so I had over 8 hours under my sleep belt. Today, not nearly as much. In the parking lot, I make a half-hearted attempt to nap for a few minutes before heading into the gym. But apparently, I'm too vigilant to doze off in a car, even one that is locked and heated, and even though I've set my phone for a 10-minute alarm. I just can't do it.

My glutes and hamstrings are still sore from Friday's Walking Lunges so I have my doubts about any decent mileage on the elliptical today. However, it's not as bad as I had feared. I even get a decent amount of reps for pullups. The smaller adjustable bench is in the Smith station and the station is empty. Hurrah for me! I do my sets then look around to see who and what's in the DB area. Someone is on the one other adjustable bench there so I drag my bench through the maze of barbells and racks to plant it in the obvious vacant spot in front of the DB racks.

A big, tall Latina is doing deadlifts in the Squat rack. I recently overheard her say that she'd changed her routine to lift heavy and felt so much better about herself. Her glutes and quads have put on size and she's starting to develop shoulders and arms. Once she fills out, she'll be a proper Amazon. But right before she pulls the bar, she emits a small squeak that's downright cute, like a puppy. I tend not to make any noise at all, but my heavy lift days are long over. My compromise is to do medium weights and a lot of them. My OCD kicks in and I wind up moving displaced DBs so that everything is in sequential order. Newbies are reracking their weights, but not properly. Ugh.

I see a lot of regulars mixed in with the new faces. The Heron stalks up to the cross-trainer. Two chubby middle-aged women chat throughout the entirety of their 20 minutes on the ellipticals. I'm hoping that 6 supersets of DB shoulder work is enough to make a difference that I can see. One of these days...

My recovering toe is still ugly. It actually might be uglier in spite of or maybe because of the stretching and massaging I put it through every day. Tomorrow I have a checkup with my glaucoma doc but there's enough time to get some cardio in before I need to be there. I also need to stop off at the pet supply store since the rescue informs me that what they're feeding the pups isn't what I actually have at home. Ugh. I suspect they're just using what they get donated or can buy for a reasonable price because why else would they use a mix of Hill's Science Diet for Large Breeds, Fresh Market now, and Royal Canin. (They've already told me they don't think Science Diet is a very good brand!) Since the pups are traveling halfway around the world, they'll be super stressed. Feeding them the same foods should help them settle a little easier. Fingers crossed!

Meanwhile, I read about a protein called Sestrin (an exercise by-product?) which purports to improve the endurance and metabolic changes that exercise provokes. Looking for fitness in a pill? Naw. I doubt it can calm anxiety and clear your mind the way actual exercise can.

Another Monday Push

30 elliptical + 5cd
Program 1
Miles 2.87
Calories 320
HR 157-199 (111, 89)

Cage Stretch
HGPU 23

Elbow Plank 60s
Horizontal Scissors 60
Crunches 60/60
Bicycles 60
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

Smith Inclined Press
Bar (30) x 15
50 x 15
70 x 25, 25, 25

DB Laterals s/s Rev Inclined Flys
20 lbs x 12/20 reps x 3 sets
20/25 lbs x 12/20 x 3 sets

Rip Skulls
40 x 12, 12, 12

20 Step Mill
Level 4
Calories 130
Total steps 853
Floors 53
HR 141

Mat Stretch


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...