Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Another Twofer Post

So Monday was Christmas and I don't go to the gym on weekends. I did go yesterday for a super quick cardio workout involving the minimum (Intervals, pull ups, push ups and some core) before I had to rush home. Because we had a movie date to see Jumanji featuring The Rock, Jack Black and Kevin Hart. And even though the critics weren't very nice in their reviews, the movie theater was packed, tickets sold out, and those of us lucky enough to get seats were quite satisfied.

I actually enjoyed this remake better than the original with Robin Williams. Maybe I have more in common with tween boys than I like to admit? I mean, besides wearing their hoodies and knee-length sport shorts...


Tuesday

30 min elliptical
Intervals (HIIT)
Calories 305
Miles 2.67
Average Heart Rate 149

HGPU 26
Push Ups 60
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Side Planks 2 x 60s


Today was "boxing day" which means whack the kickboxing machine. I got to the gym around noon and the parking lot was as crowded as yesterday. I knew they weren't all going to exercise. School is out and the weather is bitterly cold, so even though it's not $5 Tuesday, there are truckloads of people going to the movies. Temps didn't get much past 22F so I'm not surprised that the gym felt chilly. I had my hoodie on throughout all my warm up movements. But by the time I got to the Nexersys, I felt comfortably warm.

I barely touched it!
This time I actually selected both the Follow Me and Sparring programs for the Beginner rounds. It was an exhausting workout last week and I wanted to replicate that. What I forgot was that the Follow Me program is less sensitive to the Cross and Jab than the Sparring program. Which means that, in the Sparring program, every time you're suppose to "block" the avatar's jab or cross (signified by that part of the avatar changing color from green to blue) by tapping (or punching) that pad, the machine got all sensitive and threw up a "Warning: You are hitting too hard" screen. Ugh. This increased to the point of where I was unable to "block" any advances by the avatar because even the slightest tap would freeze the action and bring up the warning screen. Grrrrr.... talk about high intensity interval training here! You get into a rhythm that stops abruptly because you have to hit the reset button every time you tap the Cross pad. Double ugh.

Mean Right Hook!
Thinking that maybe the Intermediate programs were less sensitive, I selected 6 rounds, evenly divided between Follow Me and Sparring. The Sparring was still ridiculously sensitive. (I did manage to stop the machine just once while in a Follow Me round, with a mean right hook during the Beginner rounds.) The screen blanked over two dozen times during these 13 rounds. It didn't matter during Sparring because you can still land blows even with a black screen. Unfortunately, that doesn't really work well with the Follow Me program, because, you're suppose to, uh, follow the screen prompts. Sigh.

Round 4
Beginner level
It was an awesome workout though: I had a lot of trouble squeezing out my 26 hammer grip pull ups afterwards. Proof of a great workout!


Wednesday

10 x-trainer
Calories 48
Miles 1.28

T, Y & I DB Raises
3lbs x 15
5lbs x 15

Mid Band Pulls 15
High Band Pulls 15

Nexersys
7r Beginner
1, 3, 5, 7 Follow Me
2, 4, 6 Sparring

6r Intermediate
1, 3, 5 FM
2, 4, 6 Sp

HGPU 26 (that was hard!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...