Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Cardio Bunnies Age Better

If you google "best exercise for aging" you will see a number of articles published as recently as April of this past year, 2017. 2017 is almost over but HIIT cardio is still the most recommended type of cardio in terms of cellular recovery. I hate HIIT cardio. It's hard, and it takes a long time to recover from. But, it apparently regenerates mitochondrial spindle ends, improves neuron capacity and strengthens vascular functions. What's not to love? 

Today, I do an "alt cardio" day. Not HIIT cardio, but not quite steady-state either. Because I'm constantly pushing myself to breathlessness. Walking and chatting isn't my idea of cardio. That's boring. I don't want to talk to anyone. I want my music up loud and me "running". I like the push. Which is probably why I set the Step Mill to speed 6. And why I added One-Leg Push Ups to the end of the core routine.

I finish with another round on the Expresso bike, but this time a "night" ride. Still the same bunnies though. It's suppose to be a leisurely ride. But my hubs keeps texting me while I'm trying to focus on the gradient and my gears. I feel good afterwards, but of course, I overindulged at the Boy Scouts Holiday Party last night and ate too many sweets. I've never tasted Monkey Bread before, and went back for tiny seconds. The kids made short work of some goodies. The chocolate donuts were gone in a flash, and the jellies and creams not far behind. Whew! At least I didn't have to cart back a lot of leftovers. Tomorrow I plan to whack the kickboxing machine. (It's a type of HIIT cardio, right?) Yaaaay! I'll save Intervals for Friday.

Wednesday

30 xtrainer
Calories 144
Miles 3.93
Average Heart Rate 158

HGPU 26
Push Ups 60
Scissors 50
Bicycles 50
Crunches 50
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Side Planks 2 x 60s

One-legged Push Ups
2 x 25

15 min Step Mill
Calories 117
Floors 49
Speed 6
797 total steps

Expresso bike
Evening Bliss 2.4 miles
70 calories
14 min

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...