Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Starting the New Year on the Wrong Foot

I haven't been to the gym since last Wednesday, which makes it exactly one week. I haven't been this lax since we went away on vacation a few years ago. Of course, the bitter cold and the fact my car battery died probably had something to do with my lack of enthusiasm for the great outdoors. Or at least enough outdoors to get me to the gym. With a new car battery and some New Year "resolve", I got myself ready for the gym this morning. But first, I got on the home scale and nearly gasped. The awful truth was staring me in the face: 113.4 lbs and a whopping 17.1% body fat, way up from 15.6. Ugh. Time to stop making excuses and buckle down!

I get to the gym and realized, only then and there, that I've left my gym shoes at home. Ugh! If I'd been wearing my cowboy boots or other shoes, I would've driven home just for the sneakers. But since I was wearing my flat soled winter boots, I figure I'd still do my work out. Thank goodness I always keep a spare pair of gym socks in the side pocket of my gym bag. This way I could change back into "normal" socks after I showered. In truth, I've seen people work out in flip flops, and in jeans, button down shirt and loafers, so I didn't think anyone would care. These winter boots are a little like Uggs, but with more support. I'm afraid I don't remember what brand they are, but my feet didn't go numb on the cross-trainer. And even though I cut my elliptical session to just 20 minutes, I was okay. I do admit that in pedaling backwards for Program 1, my toes smashed up against the inside of my boots. But they're very soft boots.

Like most middle-age women, I'm having a battle of the bulge and find that if I'm not extremely vigilant with my eating habits, I'll put on weight. It's been happening all year, and I'm not happy about it. I hate that my comfy clothes are suddenly tight. Okay, maybe not so sudden.

I get on the gym scale after my workout and it tells me 114.2 lbs, the heaviest I've been in a few years. Double ugh! Yes, I drank most of my water bottle (3lbs), but since I'd weighed myself before coming to the gym, I knew that the 2 lb difference could be attributed to sweat. I didn't make a New Year's resolution. But I have started a more serious approach to this weight and fat gain. More Interval-like cardio, less adult beverages, less fatty foods. More fruits and salad. Less bread. We'll see where I am in a month...

Tuesday 
5.55 total cardio miles
(Forgot my gym shoes so Winter Boots)

30 xtrainer
Calories 142
Miles 3.80
Average Heart Rate 149

HGPU 26
Mid Band Pulls 15
High Band Pulls 15
Push Ups 60
Scissors 50
Bicycles 50
Crunches 50
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Side Planks 2 x 60s

Smith Inclined Press
Bar x 15
50 x 12
70 x 12
80 x 12
90 x 10, 9, 8
60 x 25
50 x 25

BB Front Raises s/s Upright Rows
20lbs x 15/20reps
25lbs x 12/15reps x 3 sets

DB Laterals s/s Rev Incl Flyes
20/25lbs x 12/15reps x 3 sets

Rip Skulls
40lbs x 12 reps x 3 sets

20 min elliptical
Program 1
Calories 199
Miles 1.75
Average Heart Rate 143

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...