Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Begin Again

Although the weather is warmer than normal, it's also wet out, which meant that the gym was crowded today. I couldn't get on the cross-trainer, and I didn't want to use the ones by the front door. So I did 20 minutes on the elliptical and punched in Program 1. The only problem with ellipticals is that your arms remain static and not properly warmed up. I see a few regulars who are known to hog the Smith machine, so once I'm done in the cardio station, I rush over to the free weight area, totally skipping pull ups and push ups. I just didn't want to be stuck doing a cardio workout again.

Of course, I should've warmed up my shoulders with at least some band pulls, or baby bell raises. But I didn't. And I felt it! The warm up set of Smith Inclined Presses were fine, but the bar only weighs 30 lbs. At 50 lbs though, my right shoulder and tricep twinge oddly. There's a weird, sharp sensation that jogs up from the inside of my shoulder and then along the back of my upper arm. It's not really painful, but I'm thinking I really shouldn't be encouraging this sort of behavior.

As I add more weight, the twinge becomes more painful. I adjust my hand position on the bar to minimize the discomfort. By the time I'm at 90 lbs, there's no more pain, but the bar feels awfully heavy. Ugh. Actually, the Smith feels a little sticky. Double ugh.

The shoulder's still not happy with me doing BB front raises, although the Upright rows are okay. The only discomfort I feel there is from fatigue. Both adjustable incline benches are in use so I drape myself over the Inclined Breaker Bench. There are two at my gym, and the benches are at a fixed angle. Shoulders must be warmed up because these don't hurt at all. Finish with Rip Skulls. I still have the two 2.5 lb magnetic discs from BB front raises, but only use them for the middle set. 40 lbs feels fine. 45 lbs and my right elbow complains at rep 8, making me worry about dropping the bar on my face. I go back to 40 lbs for the last set because worrying is bad for lifting.

I did less cardio today and didn't change my weights, but I feel exhausted. It might be the Intervals I did yesterday. Those have a way of smacking me a day later instead of immediately afterwards. Which means I should probably whack the machine tomorrow and plan for cardio on Friday. I'm toying with the idea of doing a full body day on Thursday: light flat benching, light RDLs, light split squats, and core. Of course, I'll still need to do cardio to warm up... Nothing like starting all over, as if I was a newbie. Well, it'll keeps things fresh.

Meanwhile, I'm struggling to put together our Holiday Card. I use to do massive collage projects (encompassing my son's activities that year) that I also made into mugs and gave as gifts to family. But after a while it was too much work (because he does so many things) and everyone has too many mugs. I still like to put together silly cards though...

Tuesday

20 min elliptical
Program 1
Calories 194
Miles 1.72
Average Heart Rate 149

Smith Inclined Press
Bar(30) x 15
50 x 12
70 x 12
80 x 12
90 x 8 x 3
60 x 25
50 x 25

BB Front Raises s/s Upright Rows
20lbs x 15/15reps
25lbs x 12/15reps x 3 sets

DB Laterals s/s Rev Incl Flyes
20/25lbs x 12/15reps x 3 sets

Rip Skulls
40lbs x 12
45lbs x 12 (left elbow)
40 lbs x 12

HGPU 26

2 comments:

  1. Is that your pup?? He looks part Chow! I had a Rhodesian Ridgeback/Chow mix...he was the best dog!

    Oh and DH's Christmas present came, from Rogue Fitness! I got him (us really) a nice Rogue 2.0 bar! Can't wait to do pulls with it...maybe tonight, since there's not any good way to conceal a 7' long barbell under the tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think the pup's got some Chow in him because he's got black spots on his tongue (?!) but he doesn't fetch even though he also looks part Retriever. He used to like to run around with my son, but since he's ruptured both his rear leg ACLs, he spends most of his time sleeping.
      That comment about DH's gift made me laugh! Have fun!

      Delete

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...