Wednesday, December 6, 2017

High Hopes

My head cold is just about gone. I only have some residual sniffling and a morning cough so I was totally surprised when I tried to change the light bulbs in the kitchen. Massive vertigo spell. Ugh. The kitchen is fine during the day due to the big south-facing window, but since it gets dark a bit past 4 pm, I really need the ceiling fixture to emit light in order to make supper. Ours, and the dog's! I'm hoping my hubs gets home early enough to do this today. He can reach up without needing a step stool, whereas I'm standing on the kitchen table.

Not only am I having intermittent vertigo, but I still feel exhausted. I'm not used to this. I know I'm not getting quite enough sleep, averaging 6+ hours each night when I really need 7+. Recent online health articles disparage the use of zinc and vitamin C to alleviate colds. Personally, I don't really think they know what they're writing about. Most of these articles tend to take distillations of studies published in other journals, recompile the numbers and then come to their conclusions. Cheaper that way, and they don't have to do any long-term studies themselves. It's just a different statistical interpretation. I'm still taking my zinc tablet daily, along with my other vitamins and minerals, and a hit of orange juice. I hope I feel more recovered by Friday when I plan to do another Intervals session. Maybe I should ease off the garlic and olive oil?

Today I planned to whack the machine, starting with 7 rounds Beginner for warm up, followed by 5 rounds Intermediate, and finishing with 3 rounds Advance because the Advance has totally different combos. The Beginner rounds went well. The machine didn't blank the screen, tell me I'm hitting too hard, and register abysmal power scores until I did 5 rounds Intermediate. It suggested that I cut my rounds and build up my stamina. Ha! Never mind that it ignored most of my Sweeps and Power Digs. I punch in Advance and the machine switches to Southpaw. Ugh. I complain to Gym Owner. On a whim, he taps on the Left Stance for the Advance level, and voilĂ , the machine sets up as Traditional. We think the problem's solved until I move onto round 2. The machine reverts back to Southpaw. He shrugs his shoulders. Ugh! I do another round at Intermediate just to get 14 rounds today.

Gym Owner tells me that the Nexersys company is a pain to deal with, and that they no longer support this system. They're upgrading the base so that it's wireless. Uh, will it be more accurate? He also tells me that the Espresso bikes are wireless and I tell him I've tried them once but I can barely reach the handlebars. He's surprised. The gal at the front desk can use it so I should be able to as well. She's 2" shorter than I am, but it is possible that since I have a long body and short limbs, she might have a longer reach. Possible. He says we'll look at it tomorrow. Okay.

Wednesday

10 x-trainer
Calories 48
Miles 1.3

Mid Band Pulls 15
High Band Pulls 15

T, Y & I Raises
3lbs x 15
5lbs x 15

Nexersys
7r Beginner
5r Intermediate
1r Advance
1r Intermediate

HGPU 26

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...