Thursday, December 7, 2017

The Lazy Person's Guide to a Great Breakfast

After 1min 20 sec
Skipped the gym today. I got up feeling totally exhausted still and had every intention of going back to bed once the dog was walked, fed and medicated; the child was dressed and walked down to the school bus stop; the dishes got done; the laundry got done; the leftover chicken carcass in the fridge from last night's supper got put into the stock pot for stew tonight, with onions, garlic and carrots and the bones picked out; the bills got done; and finally, the Holiday Card got finished. Still working on that last one and it's about 1 pm. Too late to take a nap now. Later, I'll have to drive over to the school to pick my son up from after-school Archery class. Then off to kung fu!

Perfect!
I did have a craving this morning for oatmeal with a poached egg, but I've never been able to get the poached part right without an unduly amount of effort. (Even with vinegar and salt and gently sliding the egg in to the pan, the egg drops to the bottom and sticks. Ugh. And what a mess afterwards.) Normally I just beat an egg into the plain quick-cook oatmeal, add water and a pinch of salt, and nuke for 2 minutes. I keep a paper towel over the bowl in case it spits or overboils. The egg is scrambled more or less. It makes the oatmeal a little thicker but doesn't really impart much eggy goodness flavor-wise. I'm looking for a runny yolk!

Today I decide to nuke the oatmeal for just a minute, add a whole raw egg and then nuke for another minute and 20 seconds. It looks great! When I break the runny yoke, the residual heat of the oatmeal continues to cook it. After a few minutes, I have what I wanted: perfect savory breakfast.

I'll go to the gym tomorrow. Because I should be done with important stuff like Holiday Cards by then. I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...