Thursday, March 30, 2017

The Next Thing Ya' Know...

Boys XL hoodie from Lands End
I really thought I was going to just do a quick Cardio Day today. Until I realized that's what I had planned to do yesterday, and then I wound up doing DB delt stuff anyway. So, today I figure I'd squeeze some RDLs in-between the cardio. That was the plan anyway.

By the time I get dishes done and other household chores sorted, it's nearly 10 am. Time just zips by and I still can't figure out if it's because I'm moving and thinking slower, or if I'm just more mindful of everything I do. I get on the elliptical first for a change in routine although I don't usually like it when I'm wearing my hoodie. The bottom of the zipper tends to hit my thigh when I'm pedaling, and it's distracting. I've already done Programs 1-3, but I want to save Intervals for tomorrow. So I do Program 1 again. Then I do some core work, i.e., crunches and planks, before claiming the Smith. I had decided that if the Smith was busy, I'd actually brave the other side of the gym where the loose Olympic bars and CF plates were kept. Whew! Glad I didn't actually have to go there.

30 lb bar plus 25, 10, 10, 10, 5 twice
I'm wearing an airy cheap tank I got from Walmart. It's suppose to be an Avia, but it's so badly made that I wonder. The tank is really big for a size S and has gaping arm holes. I'm wearing a sports bra so no biggie. What's annoying is that the tank tends to rotate and shift to my right. I know human bodies are rarely symmetrical, and this tank probably isn't either, but it's odd that it has a mind of its own. I keep having to adjust it to the left, otherwise it pulls the neckline and arm holes right. Ugh. I may just toss (donate) this tank after I wash it later today. I don't think it's me because I don't have this issue with my other tanks from Old Navy or Gap.

The RDLs feel okay and I'm gratified since I pulled only two days ago. But I'm not really sore. Okay, the back of my shoulders are a wee bit stiff, but that could be from the DB reverse flyes yesterday. Today I'm determined to at least pull two more reps on the heavy set. And I do. Maybe I should up the weight? Next time I will... Of course, instead of walking away to do cardio, I decide not to waste momentum and do a few sets of RG BB Rows. I get less today. That's okay though. I'm still pulling really high reps. I could walk away here. But I don't. I bite my lip and drag my stuff over to the DB area and snag a flat bench to perch at the end of. DB Alternating Curls done seated keep me from swinging my whole body and cheating. I tend to lean forward with heavy weights. These aren't really heavy, but I'm being cautious with the wrists and elbows.

Having Raynaud's Syndrome means your hands and feet go numb from cold, or pressure. I experience painful tingling and numbness in my toes and feet from pedaling on the cross-trainer. I use VGs to compensate for my fingers going numb from gripping the bar during DLs and BB Rows. And when I do DB work, I use wrist wraps but have to loosen them after every set. Because as much as I want the additional support, I hate having my hands go numb from the pressure the wrap exerts on my wrists. Especially as my arms get pumped.

There are regulars all around me, mostly guys. The Mayor spots Little R for DB Inclined Presses. Someone else spots the Mayor for BB overhead press in the Squat rack. I don't see ChattyGuy today, but WWd was just leaving when I entered the gym. Some people are MIA and they've either changed their schedules due to work or school, or quit, or died. A lot of middle-aged people never leave the comfort of Machine City, filled with Cybex equipment. It's definitely Spring, the sun came out for a few hours today, and I saw a robin two days ago. Of course, we are under threat of snow and ice tonight into tomorrow morning. Oh joy.

Drag Curls are easier than the DB Curls, but since muscle fatigue is starting to set in, they're also harder. Because I'm ornery, I stick the magnetic discs on the BB and do Reverse Grip Curls with them. I figure I've gone heavier in the past, let's see what happens today. Besides, my forearms never got sore from the last session two days ago. I up the weight and the reps, and I actually doubt I'm going to feel my forearms tomorrow. Sad.

I get on the cross-trainer for 30 minutes. My right foot starts to tingle halfway through, which is kind of early. By the last 5 minutes, both my feet have numb toes, but the right foot is worse. Also, my tank is driving me crazy so I'm constantly adjusting the neckline, and pulling my bra strap off my trap because it's cutting into my neck. Ugh! I'm truly surprised to hit 4 miles. Afterwards, I do most of a Mat Stretch. Personally, I think stretching done after a workout is a major soreness preventative. Occasionally, I find fitness articles that say the same thing, as if it's something new. Not! The gym scale hasn't really budged. It reads 110.4 lbs. Not great. But I really need to focus if I want to drop some Body Fat. Otherwise I'll have to be content with not being as lean as I'd like. With Spring here, I'd really like to have better definition. Not competition definition, but something enviable.

Thursday
6.61 miles total cardio

30 min elliptical
Program 1
Calories 296
Miles 2.61
5324 steps

Knee-Ins 50
Crunches 3 x 50
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Side Planks 2 x 60s

Smith RDLs
Bar (30 lbs) x 12
80, 100, 120 x 12
140, 150 x 8

Smith RG BB Row
25 x 80, 100
20 x 120, 130

DB Seated Alt Curls
20 lbs x 12 reps
22.5 x 12 x 3 sets

BB Drag Curls
12 x 40 lbs, 42.5, 45

BB RG Curls
45 lbs x 25 reps x 3 sets

30 min x-trainer
Calories 140
Miles 4.00
Average Heart Rate 160

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...