Monday, March 6, 2017

Still Grinding

The shoulder is better but not 100%. At least it didn't wake me up. The Alberta Clipper drove temps down to 11°F, but it promises to reach mid 60s by mid-week. Ah, Spring! As much as I like doing the body-weight work, I need to change things up so I'm cutting back on those staples like push ups, pull ups and crunches. I've tried cutting back on cardio and that didn't really work for me. I got heavier but not in a good way. I didn't get stronger or recover faster. I just felt Bleah.

So I'm keeping the hours worth of cardio where I can. And I'm keeping the basic core weight lifting movements. Which means I'm trimming back on smaller items. Today I skip the mat entirely. No push ups, no crunches, no planks, no pull ups. I'll do some of those things tomorrow. By mid-morning, every working treadmill is occupied, and half of all the ellipticals and cross-trainers. Maybe it's a holiday I didn't hear about? I get on the elliptical for 30 minutes and do Program 1. Then a quick hamstring stretch at the Cage before dropping my gear at the Smith station.

I've got the adjustable bench angled to 30 degrees which is more inclined than I've been doing. Just benching the bar feels okay and I'm hopeful. There is the tiniest bit of discomfort as I add small plates to the bar, but nothing that makes me grit my teeth. I feel pretty good. The Mayor and cronies are all over the DB area and benches. There is only one other adjustable bench there. Worst case scenario is that I plant myself on one of the Inclined Breaker bench stations. Instead, I can stay put in the Smith, and use it for the Reverse Inclined Flye portion of my DB supersets.

Using 20s for the lateral raises and 25s for the reverse flyes feels okay today so like last time, I add reps. Going for reps gives me the benefit of building endurance and strength but not really risking my delicate elbows. I see a gal doing squats I haven't seen in over a year. I used to call her Weighted Vest Gal because she would do all these fast and furious moves (under the guidance of one of the gym trainers) wearing said aforementioned item. She's one of these downright skinny women with a full bosom and not much else. She looks healthy, but she's lost all her muscle.

I pop onto the breaker flat bench behind the Smith and grab a 40 lb barbell to do Rip Skulls. The gym owner and the one guy he trains is at the Smith now. I'm curious so steal a few quick glances while listening to the men talking. Gym Owner has client doing BB Rows in the Smith. Client exclaims how much he likes this exercise. Gym Owner says this is one of his favorite back movements. I feel quite vindicated, but of course it's not like I'm running around telling everyone. Like the Mayor. I can hear the Mayor, I just can't see him. Eventually he lumbers forward in a lint gray polo to chat up another fellow. I see Shaggy too. He's suddenly aged 20 years, wearing odd glasses while his chin-length hair sports dull and lifeless patches. Maybe a bad color job? Even the scruffy beard has gone gray in an odd way. I hope it's not chemo, and I hope it's not contagious.

The Rip Skulls are kind of easy today. Next time I should use the small magnetic discs to add 1.25 lbs per side. 2.5 lbs doesn't sound like a lot until you start doing reps over your face. If that's easy, then I can move to 45 lbs by adding a pair of 2.25 discs to the 40 lb bar. Solid Bars only jump up in 10 lb increments. I use to carry my Rogue screw collars in my gear bag, but that was when the gym actually had a few EZ curl bars. One broke and was never replaced. I suspect someone stole the other one because I haven't seen it in months.

I finish with 30 minutes on the cross-trainer. My toes start to go numb with just 10 minutes to go. I'm really happy that I've gotten my 6+ miles today because once I start working full-time I'll have to give this up. I don't like change especially sudden changes, so I'm trying to get myself used to the idea of having very limited time for exercise. I'm not sure when this will happen, but like my glaucoma, at some point there is inevitability and it just has to be dealt with.

Monday
6.46 total miles

30 min elliptical
Program 1
Calories 290
Miles 2.56

Knee-Ins 50

Smith Inclined Press (30 degree)
12 x Bar (30), 50, 70, 80
25 x 60

DB Laterals s/s Rev Inclined Flyes
20/25 x 12/15, 15/20, 15/20

Rip Skulls
40 lbs x 12 reps x 3

30 x-trainer
Calories 143
Miles 3.90
Average Speed 7.79
Average Pace 7:42
Average Heart Rate 155


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...