Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Spring is Here for the Moment

At the MaxRack
The forecast calls for temps to peak close to 60°F this afternoon and we all need sunglasses because snow blindness is a real hazard today. The snow is soft and mushy, but still several inches. The gym isn't horribly crowded, but the cross-trainers are occupied. I get on the elliptical next to the two women who never ever seem to stop talking. I've seen and heard them for months now. They are loud enough to be heard over earbuds, and rival only the Mayor for annoying noise. One is pedaling and the other is probably done. But she's draped over the elliptical with all her gear, loud and oblivious. There are only 4 ellipticals, and I wouldn't occupy a machine I wasn't actually using. But that's me. It's good that being social gives them a reason to exercise, but they'd probably make better progress if they didn't yak so much. Of course, they probably wouldn't even come to the gym if it wasn't to yak.

Today is a Pull Day and after I finish my core warm up, I find that the Smith is in use. But the MaxRack is free. I hate the MaxRack because it always feels as if the bar is pulling away from you as you pull up. Still, I do my RDLs. They don't feel as good as in the Smith. I don't have the sense of my glutes and posterior chain contracting as I tap my hip forward against the bar in the movement. Probably because I'm wrestling with the bar. Ugh. I also do RG BB Rows at the MaxRack. The bar itself has a smaller diameter so it is easier to hold, but it's also heavier than the counter-weighted Smith bar (55 lbs vs 30 lbs).

Then off to do bicep curls. Today I do seated alternating bicep curls and then drag curls. The magnetic discs bring the 20 lb DBs up to 22.5 lbs. By the time I get to the BB drag curls, my left bicep starts to feel as if it might spasm. Hmmmm. It's hard to focus on contracting muscles if you're worried they might develop a painful charliehorse! And then, just because I happen to have the 40 lb solid BB in my hands anyway, I do a few sets of RG BB Curls. I can just make 22 reps for each set. If it had been any easier, I would've had to use those magnetic discs here too. But I don't. I'm sure my arms are going to complain later.

The cross-trainer I favor is in use so I look at my choices. I could get back on the elliptical. Or try the new treadmills. Or the Octane lateral. Or the Step Mill. Step Mill it is! Because 20 minutes on it is more tiring than anything else I've ever tried. Okay, I still haven't tried the new 30° treadmill. Then a stretch at the Stretch Cage. I'd done a set of HGPUs yesterday, but not today. I'm happy if I can just get over a dozen because my arms are tired. I make it to 25 and that's good enough for me. My shoulder is a little twingey but nothing that actually makes me stop. If anything, my shoulder hurts the most when I'm sleeping and in the wrong position for too long. Otherwise, it lets me know it's injured, but not catastrophically.

I don't think the regulars at my bird feeder appreciate the meal worms I've added to the black oil sunflower seeds. A friend told me she puts them out for the bluebirds. The package says that seed and insect eaters will enjoy these dried protein-rich treats. But I don't think so. There are only finches at my feeder today although I see the chickadees and cardinals in the hedges singing. The neighbor's cat is watching from the roof. I've never seen the cat up there before. I take his photo and he's unhappy at being discovered so he's gone. Oh well...


Tuesday

30 min elliptical
Program 2
Calories 295
Miles 2.60

Knee-Ins 50
Push Ups 80
Crunches 3 x 60
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Side Planks 2 x 60s

MaxRack RDLs
Bar (55 lbs) x 12
12 x 75, 95, 105, 115, 125
135 x 8

MaxRaxk RG BB Rows
Bar (55 lbs) x 25
25 x 75, 95, 115, 135 lbs

Standing DB Alt Curls
20 lbs x 12
22.5 lbs x 12 x 3

BB Drag Curls
40 lbs x 12 x 3

RG BB Curl
40 lbs x 22 x 3

20 min Step Mill
Calories 154
Flights Climbed 65
Steps 1042
Level 6

HGPU 25

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...