Friday, March 24, 2017

Hard Questions

I skipped the gym yesterday to sort out some paper work. Things seem to take longer these days although I'm not exactly sure why. Perhaps I get too easily distracted. What started out as some background information on our town's tax revaluation turned into several hours of slogging through a four thousand plus page PDF tax roll and cross-referencing that with real estate websites and online maps. Then a 20 minute phone call with the tax assessor's office to get an appointment for my son and his Scout friends for the interview portion of the Citizenship and the Community merit badge.

I did pull out my scale and get a weight and body fat reading. While I was happy with the weight (107.6 lbs), the body fat reading is creeping in the wrong direction at 15.6%. Of course, I haven't been actively managing my fat intake either so it's not a total surprise. I also took my son to his annual physical, and he got the Hepatitis A vaccine. He'll need another one in about 6 months. He's already had the meningitis vaccine. I'm on the fence about the HPV one though, because I've read too many scary stories. It's impossible to predict the future, but I have to do everything I can to protect my child from things that are impossible to know. On the other hand, he's had the flu shot every year, but I stopped once I stopped commuting to NYC.

Today I do my regular cardio routine, core work and then DB delts. That's enough. The only thing that worries me is that I lose count during my first set of push ups so I don't know if I did 60 reps, or more. To make up for this lack of focus, I do two more sets. Okay, enough push ups today. I even do a set of pull ups, and I'm glad I can get a set of 26, but as I drop down, I foolishly let my arms extend and my shoulder twinges. Last night it was worse, especially while I was slouched on the sofa watching TV. There was audible clicking and definite pain when I moved my arm across my body. Yeah, I've got to get this looked at. Just not sure when.

I finally got two Billy Idol CDs I've had in my Amazon shopping cart for over a year. I liked them so much listening to them in my car (yes, it has a 6-CD player and radio), that I added them to my iTunes to load onto my iPod so I could play Billy Idol for my entire workout. Most of his songs have the upbeat tempo that makes working out fun and exciting. 

So, am I losing muscle mass because of my injury, or just because I'm on the other side of 50 now? It's hard to know. I'm happy that I could get my 6 plus miles, but not happy that the saggy skin on my belly and butt is only going to get worse. Yep, I've got the lower backside of an old elephant matriarch. Just glad I don't have upper arm dangle. Whew!

Friday
6.67 miles

30 min x-trainer
Calories 140
Miles 3.99
Average Heart Rate 149

HGPU 26
Knee-Ins 60
Push Ups 60?, 30, 20
Crunches 3 x 60
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Side Planks 2 x 60s

DB front / lateral / rear
15/20/25 lbs x 12/12/15 reps x 3 sets

30 min elliptical
Intervals
Calories 307
Miles 2.68

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...