Monday, March 20, 2017

Spring Already?

Apparently Spring started today at 6:28 am. I thought it was tomorrow. Some years it's as late as the 22nd. I was startled awake by my alarm, which is unusual for me. Normally I'm awake several minutes before the alarm goes off. Today, I was deep in a dream, about to reply about a dog or something when the alarm in my phone chirped. Ugh. It's a good thing I have to walk the dog, and then my son or else I'd never get fully awake. By the time I get dishes done and laundry started and head out to the post office to mail a birthday gift to my sister, it's nearly 10 am!

The post office, true to every denigrating stereotype, is being serviced by one hapless clerk. There are two other employees sniffling in the background, trying to cover for missing personnel. Apparently the order has come down that no overtime shall be paid so now there are no workers either. The clerk isn't at her own station because half the computer systems are down, and she doesn't have enough cash in the drawer to make change. She keeps apologizing. It's okay. We have nothing but time.

The tall, skinny old woman in front of me is furiously filling out forms before presenting her International Priority Mail envelope. I catch a nasty whiff of cigarette smoke and don't wonder at her hacking cough. The clerk tells her she needs to fill out Customs Forms, even though it's just a dozen pieces of paper. 20 minutes and $36 (for her) later, I finally get to mail my package and I can even give her exact change in coin. Finally, I'm off to the gym.

The locker room is crowded and so noisy I wonder what a decibel meter would register. Between the hair dryers and the cackling, I worry about hearing loss and dementia. Studies now strongly suggest that hearing loss is related to loss of faculty and function as we age. Oh jeeze. I do my routine 30 minutes on the cross-trainer, and watch the electrician climb a tall ladder to change out the ceiling fans scattered throughout the gym. Last week he was changing some of the hanging lamps. At the Stretch Cage, I steel myself for a set of pull ups and get 31. Whew!

I have a harder time with the push ups, maybe because I skipped Knee-Ins and the minuscule rest it affords my arms to do 50 reps. After crunches, planks and lower abs scissors, I'm warmed up enough. No benching though. I'm just going to do DB shoulder work, and some Rip Skulls. I have a thought to do this 3x a week for a while and see where that leads me. My shoulder and I seem to be making an uneasy peace of sorts. I look in the wall mirror and think my delta actually look bigger, but I'm sure change doesn't happen that quickly. Not even for me.

I see The Mayor before I hear him. That's probably a first. But he's loud, and I tap the volume up. While I'm on the elliptical, I notice that all the treadmills seem to be working. But they aren't all being used. Only one fellow has the machine at an incline, and his is a moderate 15 degrees. I will have to try this one day, but when I'm really bored. And I'll be walking. Okay, maybe a fast walk, because my knees are unforgiving when it comes to impact.

The gym scale reads 109.8 lbs which is good for a Monday! Probably because I've been trying not to stress-eat or drink. The hubs isn't home either, and as the latest dieting articles suggest, it might be easier to stick to your eating plan when there's no peer pressure. Today I rediscover an orange hoodie my son has outgrown. It's fleece-lined and just slightly oversized on me so it fits perfectly. I'm really happy I can salvage some of the cool clothes my son used to wear (because he has a cool mom) and not have to toss them at GoodWill. I may snag some of his plaid flannel cargo pants once he's outgrown those too, if he hasn't worn them into rags.


Monday
6.42 miles

30 min x-trainer
Calories 138
Miles 3.81
Average Heart Rate 134

HGPU 31
Push Ups 80
Crunches 3 x 60
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Lower Ab Hz Scissors 50

DB Tri-Set Front/Laterals/Rear
15/20/25 lbs x 12/12/15 reps x 3 sets

Rip Skulls
40 lbs x 12 reps x 3 sets

30 min elliptical
Program 1
Calories 297
Miles 2.61

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...