Friday, March 17, 2017

Practice Runs

I knew I was going to drive my son down to the school bus stop this morning because the smaller roads, while plowed and salted, are still slushy and single-car width. They're fine by the afternoon of full sun. I use today as a practice run to see if I can get out the door intact with all my gear packed, and all my chores done. Nope. I haven't quite allotted enough time. And I need my body to react properly to the morning coffee, which takes a few minutes, or twenty. The last thing I want to do is have to use the gym toilets for anything other than peeing. Because frankly, they're those horrible low-water volume toilets.

Yes, the automatic flush is quite nice, but you need to actually be proactive and lay several strips of toilet paper down in the bowl before you squat if you don't want to be thoroughly embarrassed to leave a pile of unflushable poo in the bowl. Seriously. Multiple flushes won't get anything to budge once it's adhered to the porcelain. I've actually taken to using this process at home, because the one thing magnesium does to my body (and maybe yours) is give me sticky poop. Yep, no constipation ever again. But I really don't want to use the toilet brush every morning!

For my birthday, the Gym sends me a postcard with some discounts and a free protein shake. Since they don't have any lactose-free shakes, I get a pre-made one they have for sale in the refrigerated case. Muscle Milk tastes disgusting so I skip those. I've heard about Labrada's LeanBody so I get the vanilla. It's the only product labeled lactose-free. But I'm aghast at the amount of sodium in it. Sure, it's balanced by the same amount of potassium, but I think 600 mg is excessive no matter how hard you work out and sweat. It also has a weird chemical aftertaste, but that's probably because I got the Vanilla. Funny, as a child I never liked vanilla. Now, I use it as a quality taste-test. I also get myself an army-green T-shirt with the Gold's Gym logo on it because none of their tanks appeal in the women's section, and the men's are huge. Note: I don't work out in T-shirts as they're too restrictive.

The gym is fairly empty which surprises me since the sun is blazing. But I'm assuming not everyone got dug out. Yet. I count 16 new treadmills. The gym used to have a dozen, so even with two unusable machines, the gym is still up two. I discover the Erg rowing machines sandwiched unceremoniously between the Jacob's Ladder and a pair of cardio steppers I don't fit into. Talk about claustrophobia! After my 30 min on the cross-trainer, I do core. And then I do some push ups. Because I feel guilty. And I'm shocked at how hard these feel! I get to 50, and decide next time I do the push ups first and the core afterwards.

The Smith is free and it's a Pull Day. RDLs! At the heavier weight, my left lower back aches slightly. Probably residual soreness from shoveling. After finishing sets of RG BB Rows, I decide to give Seated Alternating DB Curls a go. It's been years since I've done these, but the BB Drag Curls have been a little hard on my elbows at the heavier weight (50 lbs). I start off light with a pair of 15 lb DBs. I count to 30, 15 reps per arm and replace the 15s with 20s. Again I get to 30 and replace the DBs with the next heaviest pair. 25s make my wrists ache a bit. I have tiny wrists and I'm not wearing my wrist wraps. Next time I will, but that's always my issue: my muscles are strong, but my tiny joints are weak and loose. Weakest link! As I recall, my issue with DB Curls was that I could get to 30 and 35 lbs, but my wrists and elbows developed tendonitis so I stopped. I really miss pull ups.

I do another 30 minutes on the elliptical, stretch at the Cage and find myself glancing guiltily at the roof of it. Then a quick Mat Stretch and off to shower. Done! Tomorrow's just going to be cardio. It's also St. Pat's Day and I've dressed my son in as much green as we could find in his dresser. I, on the other hand, don't own any green workout clothes...

Thursday
6.28 miles

30 min x-trainer
Calories 140
Miles 3.70
Average Speed 7.39
Average Pace 8:07
Average Heart Rate 152

Knee-Ins 50
Crunches 3 x 50
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Push Ups 50 (surprisingly hard)

Smith RDLs
12 x Bar (30 lbs), 80, 100, 120, 130

Smith RG BB Rows
25 x 80, 100, 120, 130

DB Alt Curls (light)
15 lbs x 15 reps
20 lbs x 15 reps
25 lbs x 12 reps (wrist discomfort)

30 min elliptical
Program 3
Calories 293
Miles 2.58




No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...