Wednesday, February 1, 2017

More Research Is Needed

My shoulder was definitely not happy with the sweeping and shoveling of snow no matter how light and fluffy it was. This morning I dreamt I was sandwiched between some ridiculously large people (they resembled the bouncing white beach balls from The Prisoner TV show, but with human heads). In an attempt to keep my position on line (to get my cup filled, with what I'm not quite sure) and prevent bodily harm, I wedged my arm into the offending person's gut to jab their ribs. Except they didn't have any ribs, and the pressure was excruciating.

I woke up on my back, the way I normally sleep, with my arms slightly crossed over my abdomen. Normally this is a good neutral position for me, but today it wasn't. My shoulder was throbbing. I can't lay on it, and resting on my left side only afforded a temporary reprieve before the right shoulder's position needed to be adjusted. And adjusted again.

My shoulder occasionally bothers me while I'm typing, or reading. While it's just hanging there so to speak. But it doesn't bother me much at the gym. Except during Push Day. Today is Pull Day, but I focus more on cardio. I've got 6 weeks before my birthday and I'd like to drop this winter bulk. Like most people, I require a deadline for motivation. The gym scale reads 111.4 lbs today. Not horrible, but certainly not where I want to be.

from breakingmuscle.com
I don't actually think the issue is with my shoulder per se, but with something under the anterior deltoid. Maybe bicep tendonitis? I read something in breakingmuscle.com about shoulder pain. I'm prone to tendon inflammation and I did just add Hindu push ups, Drag curls and RG BB Curls before my shoulder started complaining. Today I only do regular push ups, and they don't really bother me. I also skip any curls because my left elbow is mildly sore after pull ups.

I'm not really sure why bicep tendonitis would be affected by benching and inclined benching though, especially since regular push ups seem okay. The body's a mystery! I am very happy to finish my two sets of cardio though. There are two guys taking turns on the Smith machine, using it for OHPs. I do several sets of RDLs at the MaxRack which I don't like very much. The only good thing about it is that the bar is inexplicably thinner so it's easier for me to keep my grip. When the guys are done, they leave the bar at the top of the rack with a 25 lb plate on each side. What douches!

At the MaxRack
I wait a few minutes, then claim the Smith, all the while cursing them out under my breath while I rerack the plates. I'm just tall enough to reach the bottom of the plate with my finger tips. Thank goodness I don't find 25 lbs to be unwieldy. I did see a very small woman at the gym today, and she made me feel like a giant because she only came a few inches above the door knob to the Child Care room. The maximum height for an installed doorknob is 48 inches.

When I start pulling heavy, I use the Versa Gripps over my gloves. But the inside of my right lifting glove starts to chafe the top and side of my hand. I think it's a seam, so I'm torn between not using gloves or buying new ones. I already have impressive callouses while using gloves, so I think not using them isn't really an option unless I want to start chewing my callouses off. Ugh.

My shoulder feels better after most of my Pull routine. I get on the elliptical for 30 minutes and although I can't see anyone, I can hear that distinct grating sound that signifies The Mayor is in full discourse. If I studied audiology I might know what that sound is called because I'm sure it has a name. It's not actually a voice sound, more like an after-sound, a physical shockwave that travels the entire length of the gym. It's not pleasant.

After cardio, I stretch and muscle through my pull ups. I hate it when I start to curl my body up during the last reps, trying to resist the urge to resort to kipping. Well, hopefully I can keep my strength without using Hindus. I'd hate to regress in my rep count. Of course, I'm the only one who's actually keeping count, so it's me against me. Of course...

Wednesday
6.43 cardio miles

30 min x-trainer
Calories 142
Miles 3.83
Average Speed 7.64
Average Pace 7:51/mile

HGPU 36
Knee-Ins 50
Push Ups 100
Crunches 3 x 50

MaxRack RDLs
Bar (55 lbs) x 12
12 x 75, 95, 115

Smith RDLs
12 x 120 lbs, 130

Smith RG BB Rows
25 x 80, 100, 120, 130

Seated Cable One-Arm Row
50 lbs x 12 x 3

30 min elliptical
Program 1
Calories 296
Miles 2.60

HGPU 36


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...