Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Boredom Begets Trouble


I got to the gym a bit later than usual but still managed to get on my favorite cross-trainer for 30 minutes of pedaling. Coming off a long weekend, I stayed up too late and didn't get quite enough sleep so I was a bit unfocused. Still, I did manage to get my reps in for pull ups. The shoulder is still bothersome, especially when I need to cross my arm over my body and reach for something. I'm predominantly right-handed although fine motor coordination resides with my left hand. So, that's something like "cross-dominance". I used to call it asymmetrical ambidexterity, but I'm not equally dexterous in both hands. Each side has its specialties.

I see a few regulars including The Mayor. But he's got his skinny blonde teenage son with him, so he's noticeably quieter. I ignore B and pretend I don't see her. She's giving me weird looks when I do wave Hi at her so I've stopped even doing that. My guess is that she's upset that I don't pull out my earbud and stop to chat with her anymore. But she's never been one to stop by and say Hi to me, and I still can't get over her abruptly walking away from me in mid-conversation, as if I didn't even exist, to go tell another woman her tale of woe. It's always a tale of woe. I'm also tired of her making recommendations for clothes and shops, but then adding at the last minute that she'd never go shop or buy there. Because it's okay for you and me. But not her. I'm done. Others have dropped her too. She once remarked to me that her "best friend" suddenly stopped talking to her and wouldn't explain why. Makes me think of that statement, "Well, if you don't know then I'm not going to tell you." Seriously.

I feel good enough to knock out a few push ups, crunches and planks. The Smith machine is vacant and I'm very happy to do a few sets of Inclined Bench Pressing. Again, the first lighter sets are more painful than the later heavier sets. I'm not sure why. My right shoulder also doesn't like DB Lateral Raises, but again, the discomfort subsides as I progress with reps. I'm okay with using a lighter weight for the Lateral movements because it also spares my elbows and forearms. I don't need anymore tendonitis. The heavier DBs I use for Reverse Inclined Flyes don't bother my shoulder at all. Rip Skulls start off a bit tight and worrisome, but eventually I can relax into the movement. Not painful. I am bored though. And I've been toying with the idea of doing a few sets of V-bar tricep cable push downs. It's my last movement before heading back for more cardio so I'm comfortable going light.

30 lbs seems okay although my right arm gets a bit twingey. Even 40 lbs is okay. I know that my chest and triceps pop when I'm doing this movement. I just wish I could see what it looks like, but I'm too short to see my reflection in the far mirror wall. 45 lbs is heavy, and although I get all my reps for the set, my right shoulder isn't very happy with me. It starts to ache deep inside the pectoral insert on the humerus. Not good. Ugh. I really need to baby this side of my body a lot more! Pedaling the elliptical is all legs and lungs so the rest of me is good with that. I do worry when I hit the Stretch Cage. Hey, no battle ropes lying on the floor today! I make my reps for hammer grip pull ups, but again, the shoulder feels achey. Ugh.

I think I need to blow off whacking the kickboxing machine this week and maybe next week too, until this arm-shoulder-pec thing is recovered. I saw the old guy boxing the machine again today, but he was only there for maybe one round. The clock said about 3-4 minutes. It's one of the few things I really look forward to, but not worth doing permanent damage. Online, I find charts of deltoid and pectoral anatomy to pinpoint the area of distress. If I've torn or strained the pectoral insert into the humerus, it's going to take longer than a week for it to heal up. Without me doing stupid things like bench pressing and V-press downs. And I can't imagine that whacking the machine is going to help. I suspect the tendon is just bruised and not actually torn because nothing turned black and blue, nothing felt hot or inflamed. I guess I'll just have to be happy and patient with cardio and Pull Days.

Tuesday
6.29 miles

30 min x-trainer
Calories 141
Miles 3.73
Average Speed 7.46
Average Pace 8:02

HGPU 36
Knee-Ins 50
Push Ups 80
Crunches 3 x 50
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Side Planks 2 x 60s

Smith Inclined Bench
Bar x 15
12 x 50, 70, 80
60 x 25 reps

DB Laterals s/s Rev Inc Flyes
20/25 x 12/15 x 3

Rip Skulls
40 lbs x 12 x 3

V-bar Press Down
30 lbs x 12
40 x 12
45 x 12 Right Shoulder! Ugh!

30 min elliptical
Program 2
Calories 289
Miles 2.56

HGPU 36

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...