Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Go For Reps...

I didn't get to the gym yesterday because my eye doc appt ran long. My doc wants to put me to swap out the latanoprost generic eye drop for Travatan® which is in the same family of medication. I've been on those and recall being told that I'm allergic to it, but my eye doc insists that a name brand medication is more reliable than a generic that can be produced by up to three different pharma houses to lax standards. Well, at least she gave me some free sample bottles. I'm back in 6 weeks to see if taking Travatan along with Azopt and pilocarpine will lower my IOPs down to the targeted 11-10. Right now my eyes are hovering at 13-14 which is the most consistently low they've ever been, but it's not good enough. Sigh... I'm fairly sure my health insurance company will give me a hard time about it as well because they really want you to use generics if they are available.

My "shoulder" feels better but is by no means 100%. It's not heavy pushing that hurts, but the odd angle when I reach or pour. I'm tentatively testing the joint today, and right off the bat, hammer grip pull ups don't feel great. The shoulder aches on the initial pull, but it doesn't get any worse so damage is done, but no point to making it worse. I do my set, and that's enough pull ups for today.

I'm losing strength, and push ups remind me that I need consistency. I'm having a hard time getting to 80, and that sucks. Since push ups don't hurt, there's really no reason not to do them in my workouts. I also do my basic core work with crunches and planks. The Smith is already set up with the Adjustable Inclined Bench. Just warming up with the bar starts off a bit painful, but feels better as I warm up. I'm afraid not to do basic movements because I don't want to lose mobility in this joint. But because there is discomfort, I resolve to keep the weights light, but up the reps. Lots and lots of reps. 

The DB Laterals feel much better than last week. So much so that I up the reps for both the laterals and the heavier Reverse Inclined Flyes. I'm still in the Smith rack because the Mayor and a cluster of guys have hogged all the benches by the DB racks. No matter. I can improvise. I don't even bother with the flat benches near them when I set up for Rip Skulls. I actually prefer to lay backwards on the breaker bench because I can hook my feet under the platform that holds the uprights. Then back to cardio. I stretch at the Cage but skip the pull ups. However, I'm happy with most of my Mat Stretch. Tomorrow is a Pull Day. I hop the pull ups will feel better, but I won't know until the first set.

Tuesday
6.28 miles

30 x-trainer
Calories 141
Miles 3.75
Average Speed 7.49
Average Pace 8:00

HGPU 35
Knee-Ins 50
Push Ups 60+10+5+5
Crunches 3 x 60
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Side Planks 2 x 60s

Smith Inclined Bench
15 x Bar (30)
12 x 50, 70
20 x 60, 50
25 x 40

DB Laterals s/s Rev Inclined Flyes
20/25 lbs x 12/15 reps
20/25 x 15/15
20/25 x 15/20

Rip Skulls
40 lbs x 12 x 3

30 elliptical
Program 1
Calories 285
Miles 2.53

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...