Thursday, February 23, 2017

Guilty

Before the gym got crowded
My problem is that I can work through a lot of discomfort. Whether I should or not is another matter. My "shoulder" complains when I move the wrong way and clicks loudly. Well, that's new and supremely unpleasant. Once I get past that, the shoulder feels a bit more malleable. But not well. I need to really baby this baby or it'll develop into a chronic condition. Today I decide I can manage a Pull Day, but to be safe, I'm skipping all the iffy movements like push ups and pull ups. Because like I said, I can muscle through just about anything, but it's probably not helping me recover.

I'm in luck and get my 30 minutes on the cross-trainer. My toes get tingly 6 minutes into it which is awfully quick. But it doesn't really progress to the whole foot so that's good. I feel guilty not doing pull ups at the Stretch Cage, but I figure if I'm better next week, I can see how many reps I've lost then. Instead, I do a high-rep set at the Cybex Torso Twist. 30 lbs is the lowest weight on the stack so I do that for 25 reps each side. I'm leery of putting too much pressure on the delicate lower back and spine, especially since I'm going to do RDLs in a bit. I do knee-ins but skip the planks because they stress the bad shoulder. I also skip crunches. Yes, go for broke!

The Smith is empty and I'm happy. As I work through my sets, the gym starts to fill up with the lunch crowd. The RDLs don't feel too bad although I've got to adjust my stance. My right inside knee gets sore so I suspect my footing isn't quite right. Things go better with the RG BB Rows, but they always do. It's obvious because I do 25 reps with the latter, instead of the bare minimum 12. The Mayor makes an appearance in a faded salmon-colored pocket T-shirt. He's not loud today but does spend an inordinate amount of time chatting. I still don't understand people who don't warm up before working out. I see a few other regulars. Some have found new lifting buddies which is nice.

Seated one-arm cable rows feel horrible the first set. Well, actually it's the first right hand set, but the second total set because I start with my weaker side, the left. The "shoulder" isn't happy but I suspect it's really the humerus because of the extended bicep and lat movement forward and back. I rotate my hand as I pull back until the handle hits me in the side. The next go-round I make a point of arcing my extension forward, as if I'm tossing my arm out in a freestyle swim stroke. That solves the shoulder issue and I can finish my reps without any further issues. Normally I'd do a set of pull ups afterwards, but I amble off to the elliptical instead.

I've already done all three Performance Programs this week, so either I do Intervals or repeat a program. I opt for Program 1 because I'd rather do Intervals tomorrow on Friday. It'll be a true Cardio Day, with maybe some Pistol Squats or Smith Split Squats. I still stretch at the Stretch Cage, and again I feel guilty for not attempting any pull ups. But I really want this shoulder/upper arm injury to heal properly and not become a nagging pain. I've sucked down 3/4 of my bottle and the gym scale reads 109.4 lbs. I'm good with that. I feel like I'm making some slight progress on reducing some of this bulk without losing too much proper muscle. Or I could be delusional.

Thursday
6.41 miles

30 min x-trainer
Calories 142
Miles 3.82
Average Speed 7.64
Average Pace 7:51

Torso Twist
2 x 25 x 30 lbs
Knee-Ins 50

Smith RDLs
Bar x 12
12 x 80, 100, 120, 130

Smith RG BB Rows
25 x 80, 100, 120, 130

Seated OneArm Cable Rows
52.5 lbs x 12 x 3
(Right shoulder, wrist, thumb
Compensate arch overhand)


30 min elliptical
Program 1
Calories 294
Miles 2.59

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...