Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Start Again

It goes without saying that my hubs is a terrible influence on my diet. When he's home, I snack and drink too much because I worry that he'll feel I'm judging him and his lack of self-control. Since his mom passed away last April, he's been indulging in a variety of craft beers. It's not unusual for him to drink a six-pack during dinner. His dad is declining rapidly (we don't think he entirely recognizes people, and he seems unable to use his cell phone) and my hubs, like many American men, doesn't have the tools to deal with such emotional distress. He works a lot, exercises occasionally, binge watches historical dramas and rants about politics.

Today the gym scale read 110.4 lbs which is better than yesterday. I'm sure I'll be fine until the end of the week when I'll have to start again. I haven't figured out how to fix this yet. I'm trying to exercise smarter, especially with my shoulder still feeling so wonky. We're suppose to get another light dusting of snow tomorrow, about an inch. That might be sweepable, but it'll still use the same motion and the same muscles. Well, at least my shoulder doesn't hurt anymore when I'm laying in bed.

I get to the gym and am excited that the cross-trainer is free. All goes well until the last 5 minutes when pedaling suddenly feels extremely arduous, as if the machine had increased to resistance 10 while maintaining the facade of zero. Afterwards, I find that ChattyGuy is using 15 foot long battle ropes that he's affixed to the base of the Stretch Cage. Maybe I'm a bitch, but he's not actually using the Cage itself so I step into it and start stretching. He walks away, leaving the ropes on the floor for everyone to trip over. I'm only there for 5 minutes. He could come back. But I think he was done anyway. I hate it when people don't put the equipment back in place. When I leave the gym some hours later, the ropes are still on the floor. Oh well...

Today is a Pull Day and everything else is routine, including core warm up. I see a few regulars, but not The Mayor, Shaggy, Frankenstein or creepy PJPants. Last time I saw PJPants, it looked as if he was totally disgusted standing at the cable station. I was probably doing RDLs, and taking in the view from the mirrored wall. He suddenly turned his back in an odd way, making me think that he was done with whatever he was trying to achieve. Let's refresh: this is a beer-gut, middle-age man who sits at the same station doing the same exercise two or three days in a row. This is the creepy guy who mouthed "I love you" at me while I was at one of the exercise stations. Yuck! We all know he has no idea what the hell he's doing, and I'm glad he's gone.

One of the trainers has an elderly couple at the DBs. They might be the same age because they both have curly gray hair, spotty complexions and an overweight lumpy physique. But the woman is clearly enthralled with the exercises, while her husband trails behind ploddingly. He's not really interested in doing any of this. For that generation, the wives are usually younger than the husbands, but in this case it's hard to say. But she'll outlast him for sure if only because she has a better attitude.

Tuesday
6.3 miles

30 minx-trainer
Calories 142
Miles 3.79
Average Speed 7.58
Average Pace 7:55

HGPU 36
Knee-Ins 50
Push Ups 80
Crunches 3 x 50
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Side Planks 2 x 60s

Smith RDLs
Bar x 12
12 x 80, 100, 120, 130

Smith RGBB Rows
25 x 80, 100, 120, 130

OneArm Seated Cable Rows
52.5 lbs x 12 x 3

30 min elliptical
Program 2
Calories 282
Miles 2.51

HGPU 36

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...