Monday, December 12, 2016

Pushing to Start the Week

My son had a sleepover where he got no sleep at all, but that's to be expected of little boys. Even though he's taller and outweighs me, my son is still a little boy. My husband got home in time to change and we went for the first time to the Gold's Gym Holiday Party at a newly renovated local bar. It was crowded! I saw a few familiar faces and a lot of strangers. Drinks were enormous, and I'm a flyweight. The chafing dishes of food were empty in seconds so my hubs and I went to the Chinese restaurant next door for a meal. But I don't handle liquor well, and I have to admit that I was quite hungover come Saturday morning. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've been hungover!

However, I do remember making a few observations. There were lots of middle age men and women, but not with each other. B was there with her gym friend BL. They've known each other since grade school, but I'm surprised B's hubs wasn't in attendance. Apparently, he doesn't come to these sort of things. B was wearing a slinky dress, but that was lost in the "standing room only" crowd. She's only an inch taller than I am. I saw two other women I barely recognized because of their make up. Like me, they're barefaced when exercising. The realtor, V sported harsh black eyeliner that portrayed a wild punk-rock side I'd never considered of her. Her hubs seemed bored. I saw a few guys I recognized but don't speak to, including the Mayor. I pointed him out to my hubs. Luckily the creepy guys were missing so I'm assuming married guys had other things to do if they weren't in attendance with their wives or girlfriends.

When I get to the gym today I note that the Mayor is much quieter. Super creepy PJ Pants keeps his distance. I don't see Shaggy or Frankenstein. But the big old WW2 vet (okay, he's probably not quite that old) announces cheerfully as I walk in the front door, "Here she is!" I'm a bit perplexed and I give him a slight uneasy wave. I don't know him, but I did see him at the party Friday. I think there must've been a bunch of the younger guys there too, but I don't remember them. Today, three or four of them steal glances between sets while we're all in the free weight area.

Today is a Push Day but I'm cautious about Flat Benching today. I woke up with an unusual stiffness on my right side, over the hip but towards the back. Coincidentally my hubs also complains about the same discomfort in the same spot this morning. His explanation is that we were both abducted by aliens during the night. Um, I don't think so...

Instead of looking for a flat bench, I'm content to use the Adjustable Inclined Bench in the Smith. It's set to 45 degrees. I normally have the bench slightly more upright but I figure it's good to change things up. This angle makes it more difficult to reach the bar to the stays and my right hip is stressed because my feet can't set flat on the floor. Yes, I have short legs. The Mayor and a few guys are behind me on the breaker benches, and normally I can hear them even with headphones on. Today, I can't. Yaaaay! I move to the DB area for my superset. It's going to be the only truly heavy lifting I do today because everything else is very routine. Rip Skulls are my last exercise. Except for cardio. And pull ups. Of course...

Monday Workout
(6.44 total cardio miles)

30 min x-trainer
Calories 143
Miles 3.87
Average Speed 7.73
Average Pace 7:45

HGPU 31
Knee-Ins 50
Push Ups 100
Crunches 80, 80, 60
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Side Planks 2 x 60s

Smith Inclined Bench 45°
Bar x 15
12 reps x 50, 70, 80, 90
25 reps x 60 lbs

DB Lat s/s Rev Incl Flyes
25 lbs x 12/15 x 3

Rip Skulls
12 x 30 lbs, 35, 40

30 min elliptical
Program 1
Calories 291
Miles 2.57

HGPU 31

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...