Thursday, December 22, 2016

Is the Day Longer Yet?

It almost reached 40°F today, but that wasn't warm enough to do anything about the snow and ice on our front lawn. I wear gloves when I drive because the steering wheel is painfully cold. My new used Subie does have heated seats though, a luxury I didn't realize the car came with until just a few months ago. I'm enjoying that feature immensely.

This is an XL sports bra!
I'm at the gym slightly earlier and it's crowded, steamy and loud. Ugh. Today is my 2nd Push Day this week. I did toy with the idea of just doing cardio, and using tomorrow as a Left Overs Day, but since I rarely work out 5 days straight anymore, I figure I'd see how I hold up. I'd probably make better gains if I kept up this routine, but I'm not all that sure I want to get bigger. Already, my favorite fleece pajamas top feels tight in the shoulders. I'm a small person. It's not like I can just buy a bigger size when nothing else has changed! I'm already worrying about where I'm going to find sports bras to fit me since the XLs are getting a bit tight. And I'm not all that big! What the hell do the big gals do?! Or do they even worry about it?

The gym scale reads 110.8 lbs for the 4th day in a row. Well, that's never happened before. I can only surmise that either the scale is broken, or my body is stubbornly in stasis. Okay, I admit I'm not dieting or doing anything restrictive. I'm even enjoying a beer or hard cider every now and then. So at least my weight's not going up, right? 

I'm dragging a bit on my favorite cross-trainer. I muscle through the pull ups. Push ups aren't a problem, and neither are crunches or planks. The Smith seems to have been cleaned or greased! The bar glides up and down effortlessly now, so I'm very happy. My shoulder twinges and I skip the max weight for Inclined Presses. There's no reason to risk injury. However, I can handle the three super sets for DB lateral raises and Reverse Inclined DB Flyes. A bearded fellow who resembles Conor MacGregor (the UFC lightweight champ) is benching on the Inclined Breaker Bench behind me. Well, this guy might be shorter and a tad wider. Like a bull. Later, I see him doing bicep curls, moving both big-ass DBs up simultaneously. Yep, he's a bull...

I don't bother with the lighter weights for Rip Skulls. Why waste time and energy? I know I can handle 40 lbs so that's what I use. I might be able to get a few reps at 45, but not without risking my left elbow. Well, it also twinges after a hard set of pull ups. I blow off Tricep Cable Press Downs because they don't really benefit me. Then off to the elliptical for another 30 minutes. I'm still cruising to Billy Idol because I don't mind listening to the same album several times over. Finally, there's that last set of pull ups to do. I see HoodieBoy at one of the machines, although I'm still not sure what gender. Later, when I stretch out on the big blue mats, HoodieBoy ventures over to use the adjacent Hanging Leg Raises station. He's short, like me, but not as short. The other HS boys tower over him. I can finally tell he's a boy, not because I can see his face, but because his calves are hairy. No girl would ever come here and bare such furry legs! I hope he persists with the pull ups. Eventually there'll be something awesome under that hoodie.

The parking lot is emptier than it was this morning when it looked like someone must be giving free money away it was so crowded. The supermarket is only half as crowded as expected, but some shelves have been wiped clean. Like the bin for parsnips! WTH? I can't imagine they're that popular, but maybe that's the point. Whatever the store had has been sold. Bummer...

My hubs tells me that his office is closed tomorrow, although my son still has school. A no-learning day though... So my hubs and I will go to the gym together tomorrow. And we'll do our own thing. Maybe there'll be parsnips at the grocery? I'm planning on making a pot roast for the weekend. It's a dish I've never made before. Tonight I've got a corned beef baking in the oven, slathered in honey mustard. It's a corned beef from last March, when they went on sale. Hopefully it'll taste good.

Thursday Workout
6.24 miles total cardio

30 min x-trainer
Calories 148
Miles 3.63
Average Speed 7.26
Average Pace 8:15

HGPU 31
Knee-Ins 50
Push Ups 100
Crunches 3 x 50
Bird Dog 2 x 60s
Side Planks 2 x 60s

Smith Incline Bench 60
Bar x 15
12 x 50, 70, 80
25 reps x 60

DB Lat s/s Rev Incl Flyers
25 lbs x 12/15 x 3

Rip Skulls
40 lbs x 12 x 3

30 min elliptical
Program 3
Calories 297
Miles 2.61

HGPU 31


No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...