Friday, December 2, 2016

Pushing Through Push Day

I'm so tired that halfway through my swim class, my thighs burn with lactic acid. My shoulders are unusually fatigued so my form deteriorates as I try to synchronize my stroke with breathing. There's only a few more classes this term and I haven't signed up for the Winter Session. Because I can't bear the thought of getting cold and wet in the winter. When I get home, my son is still doing his math HW. He's struggling to finish 100 questions done online. It's a nefarious program (IXL.com), because each correct answer gives you 1 point, but a wrong answer sets you back 5. He's literally spent over 4 hours trying to get through fraction multiplication and as he tires, he makes silly mistakes. When I get back from swim, we do the remaining problems together, but it still takes us another 2 hours. That's a ridiculous 6 hours of homework for one night of 6th grade math. Neither of us gets enough sleep. This morning, I dawdle with errands like driving to the Post Office before going to the gym. Well, at least I've had my coffee.

I've sworn off Ryka athletic shoes as of today even though I'd love to support this company, I just can't shrug off the fact that it cost me $23 to return (via USPS) two pairs of running shoes to California. They offered free shipping, but returns are on the customer. The shoes looked promising, but both had severe issues. I even ordered a full half size larger than my last order, but shoe sizes must be shrinking in the US. The first pair (Devotion) was so narrow that I could barely squeeze my left foot into it, much less lace it up. That's the foot without the bunion. The box and shoe both say 6.5W, but they are visibly narrower than any of the shoes I own (including another pair of Ryka sized 6W). They are clearly mislabeled but Ryka doesn't offer exchanges.

The second pair of shoes (Indigo) is comfortably wide (also a 6.5W), but the arch is so high that it's painful just to walk across the living room floor. I try switching insoles between shoes, but it doesn't help. The shoe does sport an incredibly cushiony heel, but it's no good if walking is impossible. Both shoes have to go back. So I'm spending $23 for nothing. Grrrrr! Well, I've learned my lesson. If I'm going to purchase online, I'll have to go back to Zappos where returns are free. The same can be said of LL Bean. And with Land's End, I can just drive to the local Sears to return items.

My heart rate isn't as low as yesterday, probably because I've inexplicably managed to put a smaller drop of pilocarpine in each eye this morning. Online, I find that the drug does indeed slow the heart rate. Well, that's not all bad considering mine is usually racing in a scary fashion while I do cardio.

The cross-trainer is in use so I get on the elliptical instead. I'll use the cross-trainer later, when it becomes available. I'm just too tired to deal with the more difficult cardio machines. Pull ups are a struggle, and I decide to completely skip push ups and crunches today. Instead, I do a few sets of flat benching on the Smith machine. There is a twinge in my right shoulder so I don't go to my max weight of 130 lbs even though I've drop-set the reps to make this easier. But I'd rather not damage my shoulder. High reps feel good though. I'm too tired to do too many sets of Inclined Benching. 90 lbs feels ridiculously heavy. Ugh! What the heck is wrong with me!

I do manage to complete the routine DB Lateral Raises super set with Reverse Inclined Flyes. Meanwhile, the gym is slowly filling up. I see two guys wearing T-shirts from the fire department a town up the road. (All our fire houses are staffed with volunteers.) These two middle-age guys are in remarkably good shape, muscular and lean. One's got a beard that reminds me of redneck shows on the Discovery channel. The other has a weird curl to the top of his hair, like AstroBoy, except that he's blonde. They're not typical of the gym crowd here, a mix of retired seniors, teens from the local high school, middle age people trying desperately to get in shape, and over-weight beefcake wanna-be's. AstroBoy keeps staring in my general direction, and I'm not sure why. Because I'm fairly clueless when it comes to other people.

For my last Push Day movement, I do a few sets of Tricep Cable Push Downs with a V-bar. I have not done these in probably 6 months or longer so I start off very light: 20 lbs. Okay, that was like not using any weight at all. Gradually I get to 45 lbs. Next time I'll start with 40 or 45 lbs. I know I've gone as heavy as 50 but never more than that. It's hard to push that much weight if you don't actually weigh all that much. Today the gym scale tells me 111 lbs, and that's after I've sucked down my entire 1.5 liter bottle. I still have a deep wet cough. Ugh.

I'm about to start pedaling on the elliptical again (Intervals) when I realize that absolutely all the cross-trainers are empty. Including the one I favor. So I move all my gear over and proceed to wipe that machine down. I always wipe down the cardio with bleach water BEFORE and AFTER I use it, because people are pigs. I already have a cough I can't seem to shake, and I see people walk away from equipment without ever picking up a paper towel and spray bottle of bleach water. It's the people who leave the bathroom without washing their hands... they're out there! The same people who leave their used tissues and gum (right out of their mouth!) stuck to the side of the machine. Yuck!

I finish with one last set of pull ups. Mission accomplished. Done!

Friday
(6.3 miles)

30 min elliptical
Program 3
Miles: 2.47
Calories: 276

HGPU 31
Knee-Ins 50

Smith Flat Bench
Bar x 15
80 x 12
100 x 10
120 x 8
90 x 25 reps

Smith Inclined Bench
Bar x 15
12 x 50, 70, 80
90 x 6
50 x 25

DB Lat s/s Rev Incl Flyes
25 lbs x 12/15 x 3

Cable V-bar Push Down
20 lbs x 15
30 x 12
40 x 12
45 x 12

30 min x-trainer
Miles: 3.83
Calories: 142
Average Speed: 7.65
Average Pace: 7:50

HGPU 31

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...