Thursday, June 18, 2015

Recovery

Here's yesterday's Back Selfie. Hard for those of us with short arms to get a decent shot. And the sun-tan-burn thing really messes with shadows and definition, not that I have a lot anyway. I'm just going to have to "bite the bullet" so to speak, and set up my good camera with the timer and tripod. I always have a bit of trouble because I have to pre-focus the camera on a point behind where I'll actually be standing, unless I figure out a dummy focal point. Hmmm.

This morning I was all set to head to the auto shop when they called to reschedule because their mechanic called in sick. And of course, they're all booked up. "You're good 'til the end of the month, right?" she says. "No, it's a new car and the sticker expires Monday." "Oh, how about Monday?" I grumbled and countered with "How about Saturday?" "Uh, 11 am?" "Nope, my son's got a dentist appointment. How about 2 pm?" "Yes, we can do 2 pm!" "Okay, no later, right? 'Cuz I have a Cub Scout thing at 4 pm." Hmmmm. I guess we'll see.

I get to the gym a bit flustered and jump right on the elliptical for a 10 minute warm up. There's a Homer Simpson lookalike making repairs to one of the mountain bike simulators. Boxes and foam packing pieces are scattered in front of the Nexersys machine I like to use. I tell the Sr female trainer behind the front desk that I'd like the gym owner to move the bloody machines away from the bikes, and closer to each other. I show her how people like to walk between the machines, even as punches are being thrown. "Because people are stupid," I tell her.

Everyone is always a bit surprised by my ritual hand-wrapping, but I'm not blessed with large hands that fit snuggly into standard-sized gloves. At least I can punch and jab now without worrying about taking flesh off my knuckles. It's humid and I start sweating by the end of the six Beginner rounds. After I blow my nose, wipe my face and sip some water, I'm more than ready to smack the machine harder and faster.

Yep, eight rounds Intermediate Level. The pace has definitely quickened and there are some combinations I'm not familiar with. Out of all the programs on this machine, I like the Follow Me the best. I used to do the Sparring Program, but I actually got bored with it. My power is improving on the Intermediate level, and today I don't blank the machine. I feel absolutely great when I'm done. Probably something to do with a combination of endorphins and massive oxygenation. This is where the combination of strength and endurance play well together.

Breathing hard is oxygenation prime and it's probably the only time that I actually find myself smiling. But I start to lose focus during the last two rounds. The Mayor has decided to use the Cable machine next to the CF space, perpendicular to the mountain bikes and the Nexersys machines. He doesn't usually come back here. And of course, he needs to chat loudly with a gal on one of the bikes. It's distracting, and annoying and if I didn't know better, I'd think he was desperately trying to get my attention. I think he wants to catch my eye, but honestly, I don't know why. I don't have anything to say to him, he's not even vaguely cute (think the Mayor in the animated flick Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs), and I never interrupt my workouts with conversation. Not even with R. And I think R has the best smile. But I won't talk to him unless I'm done with my workout. I got my priorities and they're pretty much set in stone.

After I strip off the gloves, wrap, tape and moleskin bits, I zip up my hoodie and do 20 min on the Step Mill. It's LISS but I'm busting a sweat anyway. The Mayor is back at the free weights. Now he's chatting with the woman on the adjacent Step Mill. I've noticed that he's gone out of his way to befriend all sorts of middle-aged women. But like a lot of white men in suburbia, I think he's got "Yellow Fever". Like a lot of men, he's not interested in me, just who I appear to be. And I'm not interested in playing that game. I turn up the volume because his loud squeaky voice is grating. He always sounds like he's been at an all-night rave. I like low melodic voices. I like quiet people with stealth humor. Tomorrow is Leg Day. I'm not getting sore anymore from Smith One-Leg Split Squats. Oh well... just as well. My summer shorts are awfully snug these days.

Thursday Workout

Warm Up
Calorie :   92 CAL
Distance: 0.82 mile
Duration : 00:10:02
6 r Bgnr
8 r Intmd
Lap/Rep :  14 Lap/Rep
Duration : 00:56:00
LISS
Calorie :   109 CAL
Lap/Rep :  42 Lap/Rep
Duration : 00:20:00

Photos posted for actual stats:
6 rounds Beginner Follow Me

8 rounds Intermediate Follow Me

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...