Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Trying New Things

My kahlua pork turned out well and we enjoyed pulled pork over sticky rice and pan-fried pineapple slices. My hubs discovered cinnamon-spiced broiled pineapple slices at a Brazilian churrascaria (steak house) while in Boston. It sure beats eating canned pineapple rings. We also bagged up 9 lbs of home-made Cajun-spice beef jerky that's finally done, having been in the food dehydrator for over a week. It has to be so dry it snaps when you bend a strip in half, and with days of torrential rain, that's been difficult to achieve. But it's done.

Today the sun is out. And the temperature's gone from a wet, chilly 50F to a blazing 70. There's a lot of teenagers at the gym today. Very chatty teenagers. I do my 15 min warm up and then use the Star Trac Max Rack for RG BB Rows. I've dropped the weight in order to improve my form and go for reps, as is my wont. I don't like how my form falls apart with the One-Arm DB Rows, especially at the heavier weights so I'm skipping those.

I saw a video on how to perform a Shotgun Row, aka, One-Arm Cable Row. I try this seated and then standing. I'm actually fairly cautious by nature so I start with very light weight until I get the hang of the movement. Because I'm able to stretch my arm farther than its length, I have to position my start further back than I expect. I hold the handle with a neutral grip and rotate my arm so my hand faces up as I pull in to my side. It almost looks like the pocket hand in a martial arts punch stance. I make sure I am standing so that I have to cross the center line as I pull back. That's suppose to guarantee lat involvement. I don't know. I feel it more in my arms and delts. I wish I could see myself do this exercise. That would help me determine if it's doing what I want. What I want is something to replace the One-Arm DB Rows. At the heavier weights, I feel stress in the  muscles over my hips and lower back.

To my surprise, my left side adapts to the new movements easier than the right. Yes, I'm asymmetrically ambidextrous, but my right side is stronger. Which is why I always start with the left side. However, it doesn't explain why my left looks better than the right. Hhmmm. The Lower Back Extension machine is a no-brainer and I do all three sets without much issue. I'm getting tired, though so I'm not seeing an increase in weight or reps anytime soon.

I do remember biceps before the final cardio leg. I know I'm performing incomplete Drag Curls, but as with the Glute Ham Raises, I might do a partial movement for several weeks until I'm comfortable before adding the second half of the exercise. In this case, I'm able to drag the bar halfway up my torso while focusing on keeping my elbows from flaring out. The second part is harder because it involves pinning the elbows and moving the forearms up the torso until the BB is across the chest.  Of course, I worry about how this part will affect my wonky elbows. Next week I'll drop the weight back down and try to do full sets. At least my BB RG Curls are good.

HIIT cardio is ridiculously hard, but I max at 290 SPM which is a PR for me. I've only rarely gone past 280. The girl on the adjacent elliptical seems perplexed by my sudden manic bursts of speed, followed by several seconds of breathless grimacing. I'm not sure if this is normal for everyone, but I don't start to really sweat until after the exertion is over, and I'm drenched doing LISS cardio. I do most of my Mat Stretch, skipping Dive Bomber Push Ups, Planks and Pistol Squats. Maybe I'll do those on Friday. Tomorrow I get to smack the kickboxing machine. Yaaaay!

Wednesday Back and Biceps
(4.05 miles; 33,980 lbs moved)

Warm Up
Calorie :   73 CAL
Distance: 1.84 mile
Speed :    7.32 mph
Duration : 00:15:06
Set 1 : 55x15
Set 2 : 75x12
Set 3 : 95x12
Set 4 : 105x12
Set 5 : 125x12
Set 6 : 125x12
Set 7 : 125x12
Set 8 : 95x25
Set 1 : 90x12
Set 2 : 105x10
Set 3 : 120x8
Set 4 : 120x8
Set 5 : 120x8
Set 1 : 30x12
Set 2 : 30x12
Set 3 : 30x12
Set 1 : 20x15
Set 2 : 30x12
Set 3 : 40x12
Set 1 : 210x15
Set 2 : 210x15
Set 3 : 210x15
(partial)
Set 1 : 40x12
Set 2 : 45x12
Set 3 : 50x12
Set 4 : 55x12
Set 5 : 55x12
Set 6 : 55x12
Set 1 : 45x20
Set 2 : 45x20
Set 3 : 45x20
Calorie :   222 CAL
Distance: 2.21 mile
10 min HIIT
20 min LISS
Duration : 00:30:03

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...