Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Bigger Than I Look

Today's Selfie
I was chatting with a few parents at last night's kung fu class when somehow the issue of height arose. "My son remarked that you're so tiny," one mom said to me. I've never thought of myself as a small person, short perhaps, except when I can't reach items on the top shelf at the supermarket. Tiny was my grandmother who came up to my collarbone, although she looms larger than life in my childhood memories. So it must be quite a shock to newbies at my gym when I grab weights that are obviously meant for bigger people.

Today is Back Day. Lately my routine has included two decent cardio sessions as well as weights and stretching. Because I've tasted 6 miles, 5 miles isn't enough anymore, and I'm actually disappointed when my mileage falls below 5.5. For the last two days, it's been 5.7 miles. I'm really happy that there's no one at the free weights today. The Mayor left while I was pedaling the LifeFitness. Island Jerk hasn't arrived yet. Kids off from school are probably just getting out of bed. I feel a bit tired. Probably because this cold is just winding down.

I keep my sets low (three) for everything except the RG BB Rows. I don't like being crowded so I move the flat bench so there's ample space on either side of me. Unfortunately, two tall teenage girls take it to mean that those are the perfect places for them to do DB lunges, and then drop to the floor to knock out some Leg Lifts. Sometimes they're in the Squat rack with a pair of 10s on the Olympic bar. Well, at least they're using real weights. I move on to the Lower Back Extension machine. I'm always worried that last time was a fluke, that this time I won't be able to move the stack, or worse, this time I'll actually hurt myself making the attempt. But it's needless worry.

Because I know that 120 lbs breaks my form, I stick to 105 lbs at the Seated Cable Row. I can feel my lats and middle back, but I'm worried about my elbows even though I'm using the V-handles for a neutral grip. There's a tall newbie staring at me from one of the Hammer machines. I'm not sure what the issue is. I'm not pulling a lot of weight. There are other women in the gym. In fact, Flirty Girl and Barbie Doll (with her stick arms) are also using various equipment. Last week I got that same look from another newbie who was there with someone who looked to be his teenage daughter. Yes, folks, it IS possible to lift weights, have muscles, be flexible (dropping into a split always awes them), and run a few miles. No Biceps work today though since I'm pressed for time.

Finally, I put my hoodie back on and clamber up to the cardio area for some elliptical time. Afterwards, I do a quick Mat Stretch but skip all the fun things like Dive Bomber Push Ups, Planks, and Pistol Squats (okay, I do a few but not the entire routine). I see D finishing her 7th round at the Kickboxing machine while J, one of the trainers, is replacing the monitor of the other system. Yaaay! No more magenta banding! I plan to whack it a few times tomorrow. My son doesn't have school but my hubs is still in Boston, so he's coming to the gym with me. He doesn't mind. But that means a quick workout. I don't mind.

Tuesday Workout

Calorie :   147 CAL
Distance: 3.34 mile
Speed :    6.63 mph
Duration : 00:30:12
232.5
Set 1 : 45x15
Set 2 : 135x15
Set 3 : 155x15
Set 4 : 155x15
Set 5 : 155x15
Set 6 : 135x20
82.33
Set 1 : 55x12
Set 2 : 60x10
Set 3 : 65x8
315
Set 1 : 210x15
Set 2 : 210x15
Set 3 : 210x15
147
Set 1 : 75x12
Set 2 : 90x12
Set 3 : 105x12
Calorie :   256 CAL
Distance: 2.36 mile
Duration : 00:30:12

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...