Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Always Have a Plan B

Being flexible builds resiliency, and I don't just mean being able to drop into a split. I'm still sick but feeling a tad better. Only took one red pill today and that was right before heading off to the gym. Today is Back Day and normally I warm up a good 30 minutes on the Cross-trainer, but I just wasn't feeling it. Perhaps I'm a tad sore from my 5.5+ miles of mild cardio yesterday? Or I'm sore from having a cold. I don't have a fever so I doubt it's the flu. Today, I do the uncharacteristically mild 10 minutes of steady-state on the elliptical for a warm up.

The free weight area is chaos with gobs of people chatting. Two girls are doing deadlifts while Island Jerk and the Mayor (and his posse) have taken possession of several benches and bars. I'm not getting in the middle of all that. Instead, I find myself at the Cable Seated Rowing station. I haven't done this in close to two years, ever since going heavier caused a painful sciatic flare-up down my right leg. I'm leery of repeating the same mistake and start off ridiculously light. 12 reps done. Move the pin down one plate. Another 12 reps. I continue until I reach 105 lbs. I only get 10 reps before my form starts to break. I know I'll be lucky to get 8 reps at 120. The inside bottom of both elbows feel weird. My lower back on the right side also feels weird. Not a good weird either. Time to move on.

I take the V-handles off the rowing station and affix it to the Lat Pull Down. I only go for three sets because I know that this is hard on my elbows as well. I glance over at the Smith. No one is on it but there are plates on the bar and the bar is set over my head. There is a disabled man in a wheelchair working out with DBs, his aid assisting him. He is badly disfigured, face askew, body slumped sideways and only seems to have one good arm, but it is admirable that he comes. Sometimes I see them while I'm whacking the kickboxing machine and they at the station that resembles a bicycle for arms. There are other disabled people who come with different aids, but this particular pair come the most consistently.

When I'm done with the Lat Pull Down, I saunter over to the Smith and start re-racking the plates. Whoever was here last was an idiot, haphazardly placing 5, 2.5s, 10s and 35s on the same pins. My OCD kicks in and I sort everything to my liking before setting up for RG BB Rows. The aid asks me if they are in the way. I"m a bit surprised to have him speak to me because I'm not much of an interactive person. "I saw you look over here, and I thought maybe we were keeping you from using the equipment," he says. I tell him that I saw the plates and figured someone was using the bar, but obviously not. I'm actually touched that they were concerned about my workout.

The more parallel my back is to the ground, the more my lower back complains, and the less I feel it in my lats and center back. I adjust my position upward, to about 45° and knock out my sets. Next is the Lower Back Extension machine. Because, well, why not? Not a problem. My elbows feels off enough for me to skip doing biceps. I can do them on Friday. Bicep work always bothers my elbows when I up the weights, regardless of whether I'm using DBs or BBs.

Because I haven't actually busted a sweat this entire workout, I hop on the elliptical for 30 minutes and do Intervals. The old Precor had different variations for Intervals, but there is only one on this model. When I'm done, sweat is running down my face and I feel better. I do a quick lower and upper back stretch and then I'm done. The gym scale tells me 111.2 lbs. Better than the 112 yesterday. Much better than the 115.6 on Monday. But that was mostly water. Tomorrow I'm hoping to do a few rounds on the Nexersys machine. Yaaaay!

Wednesday Plan B Workout


Calorie :   80 CAL
Distance: 0.75 mile
Duration : 00:10:09
152
Set 1 : 45x12
Set 2 : 60x12
Set 3 : 75x12
Set 4 : 90x12
Set 5 : 105x10
Set 6 : 120x8
147
Set 1 : 70x12
Set 2 : 90x12
Set 3 : 105x12
196
Set 1 : 30x15
Set 2 : 80x12
Set 3 : 100x12
Set 4 : 120x12
Set 5 : 140x12
Set 6 : 110x12
315
Set 1 : 210x15
Set 2 : 210x15
Set 3 : 210x15
Calorie :   264 CAL
Distance: 2.41 mile
Duration : 00:30:50

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...