Thursday, December 18, 2014

Time Off from Whacking the Machine

It's been three weeks since I last whacked the Nexersys machine so I was eager to get back to it. But I'm still sick. I have a nasty wet cough between rounds, and I tire easily. My first four rounds go well, but by the fifth one, I'm seriously doubting my ability to finish all nine. At least I wasn't overly ambitious, because nine is down from the 12-15 I used to do. When I was healthy.

My scores drop but I can discount two rounds where the machine's verbal cues are mismatched with the visual ones: Call Out Boxes tell me to Jab/Lead kick, but the Avatar is blinking Jab/Power Kick. At one point the machine just runs through a series of Combinations without waiting for me to strike. No matter. I get my second wind back during round six. I've cut a big triangle of moleskin and placed the point between my pinky and ring finger and the two base angles over the knuckles. A strip of white tape wrapped around my hand holds it in place. Cotton wraps keep my hands from sliding inside the gloves. My right shoulder twinges sporadically so I alter my Cross to arc more, angling my punch to come in rotated at 45°. It seems to help.

It's scary how fast I can knock out combinations. I've missed this so much. But I don't miss the loud wet cough between rounds. At least no one tells me that I should be home in bed. Nope. I wander off to the carpeted steps behind the Mats to strip off my gear and put my on hoodie. I'm sort of oblivious to everyone because my tunes are loud and I'm concentrating on unwrapping my hands in a neat and orderly fashion. When I glance up because I sense someone is awfully close, I see the Daniel Ryan fan stretching out his hamstrings, reaching his front leg up four steps. Dang he's a big dude. I don't see his crippled girlfriend though. They were both here yesterday.

Normally I do 10 min of HIIT cardio after the machine, but since my cardio endurance isn't even close to what it should be, I take it easy and opt for 30 min on the elliptical. I'd call it Steady-state except I'm constantly playing with the Incline. Then I wander back to the Mats and do a full Mat Stretch. My endurance sucks. Dive Bomber Push Ups leave me a little breathless and I can not wait until the plank is done. Pistol Squats are okay, and I blame them for me having to pour myself into my pants these days. The gym scale reads 110.2 lbs and I'm actually surprised.

I'm down to just one pseudoephredine pill a day. My husband, however, has caught the same cold, and texted me that he's eating them by the handful in order to prevent drowning. He got a 6 month reprieve from Federal jury duty so he's back in Boston. I'm all set to finalize sale of two of my photos tomorrow so I'm excited. We're going to make the exchange in the parking lot outside the gym, so it's even a bit tawdry. Tomorrow's Leg Day. And maybe arms. But definitely lots of cardio.

Thursday Workout

Calorie :   92 CAL
Distance: 0.82 mile
Duration : 00:10:10

Nexersys Kickboxing machine
9 rounds Beginner Follow Me avatar program
  Accuracy 95% / Strikes 99% / Average Power 127%

Calorie :   249 CAL
Distance: 2.32 mile
Duration : 00:30:10
Set 1 : 00:01:10
Set 1 : 20 Lap/Rep
Set 2 : 20 Lap/Rep
134.17
Set 1 : 115x5
Set 2 : 115x5
Set 3 : 115x3


Photo posted for actual stats. You can see where I just run out of steam in the power stats in round 5 and round 9. In round 6, the machine goes crazy and tosses out combinations without waiting for me to strike so the Accuracy reading drops. The same happens in round 9, but by then I'm too tired to even try very hard. Normally my stats are closer to 97/99/139. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...