Friday, May 10, 2013

Competing with Girls?

Done doing Reverse Grip BB Rows!
Today promises temperatures in the high 70s and the sun is making yesterday's rain-swept grass all tropical and steamy. Luckily, I prefer to exercise indoors in a mostly climate-controlled environment. This does away with needless distractions like goldfinches at the feeder, blooms of lilacs on the wind and the sudden appearance of vast hills of poison ivy. Yep, spring is sprung.

My elbows and forearms feel much better but not completely so I'm making the tough decision to not do any pull ups whatsoever today even though today is my 2nd and last Pull Day for the week. It's actually not that hard a decision because my left forearm still twinges when I turn my hand the wrong way, and I don't want to incur permanent damage that requires surgery to fix.

It's bad enough that I'm not finding any good resources for glaucoma surgeons in the New York area. There is however, a glaucoma center in Philadelphia (Wills Eye Institute) that I might investigate. It's closer than Florida or Texas. But it's not the best place. That would be the Wilmer Eye Institute at Johns Hopkins. That's a bit further away but still doable. Because like it or not, the fact is that eye surgery is probably in my near future. Sigh.

Today's 2nd Pull Day (modified for elbow tendonitis)
35 min cardio = 3.92 miles (yep, today sucked and not just because my butt's sore and my left calf feels stiff)
Seated Cable Rows: 12 @ 90 (my left forearm jumps at the sudden twinge from the pull motion and I have to adjust my grip and forearm position) / 10 @ 105 / 8 @ 120 / 3 x 6 @ 135 lbs
Cage Stretch & Kicks
Reverse Grip BB Rows: 6 x 15 @ 95 lbs
Back Extension Machine: 2 x 25 @ 105 lbs (since this is pretty close to my body weight and the seat belt is missing, my range of motion is limited to roughly 30° instead of the usual 45°)
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Up: 125
Lower Ab Kick Outs: 100
Torso Twist Station: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs
BB Curl: 6 x 15 @ 45 lbs (I should probably use the 50 lb bar but I don't want to aggravate my left elbow even more -- the first rep really hurt my left elbow and I quickly adjusted my grip)
In the mirror I'm facing, I can see that the bulky Latino, who's been trailing me all workout, is doing curls as well with the 50 lb bar. I'm not sure if he's doing straight curls or reverse grip because I really don't want him to think I'm even vaguely interested in him. So I ignore him. And I'm glad I didn't plan on using the 50 lb bar. Damn, I hope he didn't think I'd be impressed with his 50 lb curls. After all, he was probably a good 9-10 inches taller and 70-80 pounds heavier. And, duh, he's a guy.
Reverse Grip BB Curls: 3 x 20 @ 40 lbs
Mat Stretch

Geez, it's as if every new guy who works out at my gym thinks he's got to try and catch my eye. All the regulars know better, although the Mayor still looks panicked and breathless every time I glance over in his direction. I waved a quick Hi to the Fish Guy because I wanted to know if he was using the cable row but in general, I'm routinely non-interactive. I do nonchalantly scan my surroundings because I hate being surprised. V wanders uncomfortably close to me as he heads to his yoga class from the bench where he flapped his arms with 2 lb baby blue Beauty Bells. He has no idea what he's doing and no one in the free weight area is going to remedy that. I study my water bottle as he passes because I so don't want to engage in any conversation, especially with him.

Afterwards, I drink my Ensure in the car even though I'm lunching with a friend later at The Terrace Club on Lake Mahopac. I have the hanger steak sandwich with truffle oil frites. She orders tuna sliders and a house salad. It's a nice sized salad. Damn, it'd better be for $8. She has coffee, and I have an unsweetened iced tea. It tastes freshly brewed. The restaurant also puts baskets of truffle oil popcorn on the tables instead of bread to nibble while you wait. Food takes a long time to get to us but we don't mind. Sitting lakeside, we enjoy watching ducks come begging for scraps. In the end, I left most of the shoestring frites behind as well as a quarter of the brioche bun because I was sated. We did splurge and split a serving of "homemade cheesecake" for dessert. I don't feel guilty. The scale weighed in at 109.8 lbs, a tad heavier than last week and I'm trying to resign myself to it. 

Now that it's Spring, everyone is concerned with getting into shape for "T-shirt and shorts season". I note that all the local chiropractors have jumped on the wagon and are now advertising Miraculous Weight Loss programs, using themselves as prime examples of "supplements that work" with no effort on you the patient's part. Wow. Snake oil! The gym is also running a "student special" where $99 will buy them a full summer's membership, about $33 a month. I'm hoping that they'll be too lazy to get out of bed until noon and not show up at the gym until later in the day when I'm long gone. The only thing worse than lazy teenage boys lounging on the gym equipment are the ones who think they're competing with you.

One of the skinny girls who shows up sporadically seems to be developing some biceps and I smile to myself. It's nice to see women at the gym who aren't terrified of the free weights. I haven't seen the CrossFit people in a long time though. Perhaps they've taken their training outdoors, or they're injured, or their schedules have changed. It's hard to know. And I'm only mildly curious. I'm too tired for anything more. Our weekend is already packed with little down time. I can't wait until Monday when I can work out with my headphones on, iPod turned up loud and it's just me and the weights.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...