Monday, May 6, 2013

Temptations

If it weren't for my son's extra gym class this morning, I'd've had a harder time getting myself to the gym. Once you've set yourself in motion, whether it's to get your son to school an hour early, or just to get your lazy butt to the ellipticals, it's fairly easy to hit Auto-Pilot and "Just Do It". I knew that I wouldn't be happy when I stepped on the scale later today. There'd been the Cub Scout trip to Johnny Gelato, an art reception at the Hendrick Hudson Free Library, swim class, Chinese School, Kung Fu class, clam & spinach pizza with bacon at Four Brothers (with a side of fried calamari) and a sinfully rich dessert called Grandma's Pie which was a lemon curd-filled shortbread tart studded with pine nuts. Brunch at the Greek Village Restaurant offered lamb burgers and disappointing (how can they be burnt, cold and soggy simultaneously?) sweet potato fries. Naturally, the great weather invited grilling a london broil and early corn, and lots of cold beer.

My body hurt this morning, especially my elbows. I'm not sure if they're just sore from Friday's Pull Day workout, or if something else is happening. Even my butt was sore so getting up to speed on the Precor took a bit of time. I didn't make my quota today, but I didn't actually expect to either. I've had a maddening itch on the top of my foot for the past week. Yesterday it finally revealed itself with a tiny welt and a surrounding angry red rash. I suspect it's a spider bite because our house is filled with them. I recall feeling a pinch on my foot when I put my boots on to take the dog out for his morning walk, but couldn't find anything. The next day, a spider crawled out of my sock. Yep, it's probably a spider bite. Considering the fact that I've lain awake at 1:30 in the morning listening to owls hoot (something you just can't do in the City), I'll take the occasional spider bite, as long as it's not a brown recluse. Those seem to be fairly common around here too.

Because my elbows have been sore enough to wake me, I suspected that my benching was going to pretty much suck today. I'm my own worse enemy. The benching was fine. My entire workout was fine today, in spite of the sore elbows and the twinge in my right front delt.

Today's 1st Push Day Workout:
35 min cardio = 3.92 miles (bleah!)
Smith Bench Press: 20 @ bar / 12 @ 95 lbs / 10 @ 115 / 8 @ 135 / 3 x 6 @ 155 lbs / 12 @ 135 / 25 @ 115 lbs  (I love doing high reps at the end of a session! But today is probably the first time I've actually felt a pectoral pump doing each heavy set. I guess I'm finally doing things right.)
Cage Stretch & Kicks
Seated Rear Inclined DB Raises: 6 x 15 @ 25 lbs
There are some new middle-aged guys in the gym and one of them insists on prancing around in front of me. He's tall with a lean, muscular, classic gymnast build. I'm not sure exactly how to respond, or whether to respond at all. So I don't. It's just easier that way.
Lateral DB Raises: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs (I completely forget that I was going to do 15 reps today)
Lateral DB Raises SS with One-Arm Tricep Extensions: 2 x 12 @ 20 lbs / 15 @ 20 lbs (I finally remember at the last set)
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: 125
Lower Ab Kick Outs: 100
I want to do Tricep Press Downs but it's busy with a guy who was just doing a set of Kick Outs. He was also on the adjacent bench doing flyes while I was benching. I'm very cognizant of not "stalking" so I give up on that station and decide to do Close Grip Benching on one of the Olympic benches.
Close Grip Benching (for triceps): 25 @ bar (45 lbs) / 25 @ 65 lbs / 22+5 @ 75 lbs / 25 @ 75 lbs
On the 3rd set, I have to set the bar back at rep 22, rest for a few seconds and then knock out the rest of my set. But because I rested, I grit my teeth and knock out 5 reps instead of 3. I'm determined to get a full 25 reps on the last set, and I pace in front of the bench for a few minutes, getting myself psyched and pumped to do them. It works. I'm happy. I'm probably pretty scary too. LOL!
Torso Twist Station: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs
I see the Prancing Guy take an exercise ball and I'm worried that he's going to use the mats. I'm so relieved when he takes it over to the Olympic bench area. I've pretty much got the mats to myself and with my iPod pumped all the way up, I'm fairly oblivious to everyone else. 
Mat Stretch

The gym scale reads a whopping 112.4 lbs. Wow. That's some over-indulging indeed! My face is puffy and I'm sweaty and stinky. I love the new sports bras but all the synthetics share the same unfortunate quality: half way through your workout, you really start to smell bad. I'm not sure what to do about it, or even if there is anything I can do about it, or should do about it. I do wipe off the benches I've used with a paper towel and bleach water. I'm not about to wear perfume. Oh well...

I always weigh more on Mondays than Fridays. but lately I'm seeing my weight creep up. I've got to keep a close eye on this trend. My husband has a weakness for sweet & salty chips, and puffed corn snacks. He gets a bit compulsive about odd things, like making his own beef jerky (yes, we are now the proud owners of a dehydrator) and last-forever hard tack, which are great to take on hikes or camping. But everything is laden with salt. He's not particularly salt sensitive, but I am. I'm hoping that most of this is just excess water from bad snacking choices. I'll find out by the end of the week. Meanwhile, I'll let him indulge in these temptations. Now that I'm working out again (because I'm a slothful slug on weekends), I'm more apt to resist these nutritional nightmares. Ah, temptation...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...