Friday, May 3, 2013

Abbreviated Friday

Definitely thicker!
I had fully intended to let my son sleep in a bit today before hustling him off to the gym. However, he popped wide awake a good half hour before he normally does for school so we got to the gym at a reasonable hour. But it's still an abbreviated workout because I don't want him to be the last child in the child care room by the time we leave. And because it's bright and sunny, I fully expect the gym to be deserted. But it's not.

Still I get on my favorite elliptical, knock out my quota and head to the Seated Cable Rows. There are two and I avoid the one with Loud Mouth doing tricep pressdowns. He's probably a nice guy and I feel bad that he has MS and a bunch of health issues (as per B) but I don't want to be sucked into his gravitational orbit. He tends to pontificate for hours when he's not staggering into my elliptical, or stepping on my folded hoodie (probably because he doesn't know where his feet are). B tells me that he's entertaining, but I don't need to be entertained. He was probably offended when B offered to introduce me to him and I declined. I spend enough time at the gym without having lengthy conversations. Today, I didn't get to do Lower Back Extensions because he was standing in front of the machine chatting with BT on the treadmill. I managed to finish 125 twisting sit ups, 100 kick outs and two sets of torso twists, and they were still chatting. But I admit that I'm pretty quick and knocked these all out before the song Payphone had even finished.

Today's 2nd Pull Day Total Workout:
35 min cardio = 4.04 miles Yippeee!
Seated Cable Rows: 12 @ 90 lbs / 10 @ 105 / 8 @ 120 / 3 x 6 @ 135 lbs
Smith Rack Pull Ups: 12+3 / 11+1
Cage Stretch & Kicks
Smith Rack Pull Ups: 12 / 10+2
Reverse Grip BB Rows: 15 @ 90 lbs (this feels heavy, as if I haven't warmed up properly) /
6 x 12 @ 95 lbs
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: 125
Lower Ab Kick Outs: 100
Torso Twist Station: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs
BB Curls: 4 x 15 @ 45 lbs (I could probably do sets at 50 lbs but my palms feel sore)
Reverse Grip BB Curls (forearms): 3 x 20 @ 40 lbs
Mat Stretch

The scale reads a surprisingly heavy 109.0 lbs considering I hadn't finished all my water but I know I'm bigger. Two pounds might not seem like a lot to most people but when you're just shy of five feet and wear mostly XS clothes, well, two pounds is monumental. I do like how my back looks though. I just wish it were better defined. Perhaps I should ease off the heavy weights on the rowing movements and concentrate more on reps. Reps are easy. I like reps. Reps are my friend.

Today's Friday which means I can chill out with an ice cold Stella in my portable hammock. Except my son has discovered that it's great for laying right next to the bird feeder. I tried the absinthe last weekend, intrigued by the liquid emerald that turns milky when added to water. The bitterness didn't bother me (hey, I like Campari and soda) so I didn't add any sugar as is often suggested. It has a very odd yet familiar taste and reminds me of my childhood when my siblings and I often suffered from what sounds a lot like colic, except we were children and not babies. My dad brought home a bottle of emerald green medicine that had an odd bitter taste. He called it finnegan. The closest I've come to figuring out what it might've been is Phenergan (promethazine), which is an antihistamine used to treat motion sickness and itching, and can be dispensed as a green liquid. My parents are both passed so I've no hope of questioning them either. At least my dad didn't dose us with absinthe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...