Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Stay at Home Cardio

So it's a dreary drizzly day and I'm waiting for the appliance repairman. My husband assures me that because I didn't go to the gym, he'll show up at 2 pm. Since I had to get up anyway to walk the dog and get my son ready for school, I figured I'd use this opportunity to actually give the elliptical a trial run. We'd purchased the Vision Fitness back in December and I confess that I've not used it until now although my husband does occasionally get himself hot and sweaty on a 20 minute intervals jaunt.

I plugged in my iPod and got into a tank, a T-shirt and running pants, and my hoodie. The motion is wonderfully smooth and I felt as if this is what running, if I could actually run without substantial pain and damage to my knees, would feel like. But even at the lowest setting, there is some resistance which I detected in the way my thighs moved. It wasn't painful though and I did appreciate the multi-position handles which allows a more natural grip. The stationery front handles are also heart rate sensors but I don't know how accurate they are since according to the machine, my heart rate was barely 89 although it did spike to 118 at one point. I alternated between these and the wider placed neutral grip moving handles, which I preferred.

Because I didn't use a program, the machine was set for a steady non-incline session which I thought was best for a first time user. By the end of the session, I was indeed hot and sweaty and a little breathless as well. I snapped a couple of quick photos with my phone because lately I'm inclined to forget those odd meaningless numbers. Oatmeal and coffee don't seem to be enough this morning. I omitted the egg because I'm not lifting weights today and now I'm starving. Of course, I've not had any water to drink either... Instead, I make a frittata with an egg, a leftover half of a small baked potato, a sliver of vidalia onion, and a handful of arugula all sauteed in a pan with butter and olive oil. Add salt and pepper to season, of course. The repairman arrives as I'm halfway done savoring this mid-day treat. Of course.

Today's Cardio Workout on the Vision Fitness S7100:
30 minutes / level 1 / no incline: 2.67 miles (and I don't know how they determine this because it didn't ask me to punch in my weight) 330 calories

Leftovers make great frittatas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...