Monday, May 20, 2013

Tired is Not a Valid Excuse

This weekend was the Cub Scout camp sleep over at Durland Scout Reservation in Putnam Valley, the next town over from us. Needless to say, in spite of a full day of archery and BB guns, campfire songs and s'more making, we didn't get much sleep. I was still tired this morning and my entire 20 minute drive from my son's school to the gym was spent with me fantasizing about how nice it'd be to fall back into bed and take an early morning nap. Yep, I was still fantasizing about that when I parked the car and dragged all my gear into the locker room.

It's not a spider bite!
Nope, didn't make my 4 mile quota either, but I got close. I wasn't really sure how well my lifts were going to be either, but they were surprisingly fine. Either I have really low expectations of myself, or being tired doesn't really make that much difference. My left elbow is sore from archery, and I've got a lovely fingertip-sized bruise (see right) on the bicep belly from where the bow string smacked me as I let the arrow loose. My right shoulder is probably sore for the same reason: archery. And my fingertips stayed a deep purple for several minutes until the range master lent me his fingertip guard. He had several. At home we use a release, which totally saves your fingertips from the trauma of snapping bow strings.

We alternated between the wibbly kid bows, and an adult recurve bow that had a draw of 45 lbs, which is probably 5 lbs too much for me. All the fathers enjoyed it though. I didn't even bother trying the long bow because not only am I too short for it, but it had an even greater draw weight. But we all enjoyed ourselves. I only wished I'd had a chance to shoot the BB rifle because that looked like fun too! So today I'm a bit worried that I won't be able to bench well because my joints are complaining, but after the first two warm up sets, everything settles down. If anything, the benching seems to have loosened everything up, and I feel much better!

Today's 1st Push Day
35 min cardio hill #5 = 3.94 miles bleah
Smith Bench Press: 12 @ 95 lbs / 10 @ 115 / 8 @ 135 / 3 x 6 @ 155 lbs / 12 @ 135 / 25 @ 115 lbs (it doesn't even feel that hard but I do have to pause at rep 20 before doing the next 5 reps)
I see Hannibal Baggy Knees at the Smith after I've stripped the bar and move on. I think I do bench more than he does. That's so pathetic. 
Cage Stretch & Kicks
Seated Rear Inclined DB Raises: 3 x 20 @ 25 lbs / 3 x 15 @ 25 lbs
(Next week I should probably add 2.5 lbs to the DB)
Lateral DB Raises: 3 x 15 @ 20 lbs
Lateral DB Raises SuperSet with One-Arm Tricep Extensions:
3 x 15 @ 20 lbs
I haven't done Decline Presses in a long time because it strains my right front delt, plus I'm not really sure if it's worth trying to fill out the lower pectoralis muscles.
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: 125
Lower Ab Kick Outs: 100
Ab Crunch Station: 100
Tricep Press Downs: 12 / 11/ 10 @ 50 lbs
Torso Twist Station: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs
Mat Stretch

I'm actually done sooner than I expect and my reward is a long hot shower. The scale scares me with a reading of 112.0. Wow. I feel bigger too. My pants feel snug around the waist and I know my arms are pretty damn big. I haven't figured out how to get stronger without really getting any bigger. I like doing high reps as long as I don't incur any repetitive stress injuries.

Using a recurve bow
at Durland Boy Scout Camp
Last week I got an odd email from a rep from a workout website (that'd I'd never heard of before), asking if I'd be interested in allowing them to use my before and after photos (they'd pay me $100 for useage) and if I'd try their exercise program and perhaps be a spokesperson for them. How did they find me? They were trolling through the bodybuilding.com site where I happen to have a profile, not that I consider myself a bodybuilder these days. I said I was interested in checking it out so they sent me a link to download their program on a PDF (which I haven't looked at yet). The download is available until May 25 and then the link expires. Hmmm.

They also suggested that if I blogged about my experience with their program, they'd pay me. Of course, it probably wouldn't be very much. But it touches on a fantasy I have: getting paid to work out. After all, who doesn't fantasize about being valued for doing something they love? I keep weighing the thought of becoming a personal trainer as well, but I'm not sure I'd make enough money to justify the expense of studying for all the exams and getting the certificate and license. But every day I come to the gym and see all these women who have absolutely no idea what they're doing. Not that they'd accept help from me... I do see the woman from last week, and she looks as defeated as ever as she struggles to press dumbbells. I can't even look. I'm too busy benching and I give myself very little time in between sets or exercises.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to look at their program, unless it's some malware. My husband posits that it could be a place that hooks people by promising to pay them if they use the program, but you have to buy it first. Or it could be legit. Who knew that these places looked for before and after photos first, before signing them up to represent their products! I certainly didn't!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...