Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Day 2 is Leg Day

It's Tuesday and normally it'd be a Pull Day but I've switched things up this week and today is Leg Day. Yep, two sessions of cardio and then some weights. I'm surprised at how good the cardio is today and I think it's because I actually ate breakfast a bit earlier, giving me more time to digest the oatmeal-egg-honey porridge along with my coffee. I feel a bit out of sync because I haven't lifted any weights this week and my back and shoulders are uncharacteristically stiff. Tomorrow the repair man is coming so I'm entertaining thoughts of getting a bit of cardio done in the garage after I put my son on the school bus. I've not actually used the elliptical we bought last December so it'd be interesting to see how it feels.

Today's Leg Day Workout:
35 min hill #5 = 4.09 miles + 35 min intervals #7 = 4.49 miles  Grand Total = 8.58 miles Wahoo!
Smith Rack Squats: 12 @ bar / 12 @ 95 / 12 @ 115 / 12 @ 135 / 3 x 12 @ 155 lbs
Smith Rack SLDL: 12 @ bar / 12 @ 95 / 5 x 12 @ 115 lbs
Cage Stretch & Kicks
One of the trainers is instructing two women on the cables in the Cage area, and R and his wife are alternately using the other cable station. It's so crowded that after I stretch and kick, I go back to the free weight area to do my Pistol Squats inside the Smith Rack.
13 Pistol Squats each leg
Ab Crunch Station
Seated Leg Curl: 15 @ 90 / 3 x 12 @ 105 lbs
Seated Leg Extension: 6 x 12 @ 75 lbs
Mat Stretch

The gym is oddly crowded but only sporadically with regulars, as if they've all fled for a week-long holiday. I see the Mayor chatting insistently with a long-legged woman I haven't seen in some months. At least I can't actually hear him. I see Mo as well and I remember to wave Hi to the Fish Guy. I even wave to R in passing. I'm getting better with this social thing but I"m not going to worry too much about it. I'm more concerned with healing my errant elbow, and (sigh) not getting too big. 

The scale disappoints me with 111.2 lbs but then again, I did suck down my entire water bottle today. But Mat Stretch wasn't as good as yesterday's and I'm not sure why. Little things like this bother me. It's frustrating to expect a steady-state response when your body isn't a steady-state entity. Everything seems to fluctuate on a daily basis, whether it's weight, endurance, strength, flexibility. I'm not even sure if this is menopause or just the vagaries of the human body.

Arms look good
for Leg Day! LOL!
I've also come to realize that my husband, as fond as I am of him, is a horrible influence on my eating habits He was home yesterday and suddenly we were gnoshing on chips and cookies and ice cream. It's not part of my normal routine during the week, just on weekends, long and otherwise, when we're all together. Now that I'm more cognizant of this, I'll have to exercise a bit more conscious restraint.

I smeared a dab of DMSO on my left elbow last night and again this morning. As I walked back up from the school bus stop, it dawned on me that my elbow felt pretty good. Good as in an absence of pain. Of course, it started throbbing again when I racked up the bar to do squats and I wound up putting my elbow braces on over my hoodie sleeves. I keep my hoodie on for squats for the extra padding a wet jacket affords but it comes off when I do SLDL because the bar catches on the front of the kangaroo pockets. I just need to baby the elbow for a bit more and maybe I'll do a Push Day on Thursday and an abbreviated Pull Day on Friday. But definitely No Pull Ups (sigh).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...