Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Kickboxing is Kicking My Butt


Just did 8 miles. Time for
Smith Rack Squats and DL
I didn't exactly crawl out of bed this morning, but I certainly took my time getting to the gym. I was tired yesterday afternoon even before I took my son to his TKD class, and then met my husband for the 7:15 Cardio Kickboxing class. I skip all the running around, all the jumping jacks and hopping up and down. I avoid anything whatsoever that might impact my knees because I'd like to be able to walk down the steps to my car afterwards. I'm wearing my stupid pink Everlast gloves because my husband says it's better for me than the oversized boxing gloves that come free with sign-up. Those gloves are so big that my hands are suspended inside, and the wrist tabs are affixed around my forearms. Of course, my knuckles never get bruised in them either, while I can feel my knuckles slide past inside the gloves, and of course, after class, they're very pink and just shy of skinned. My husband tells me I just need to tape them. I see that Everlast also sells pink tape, just for the occasion. Jeez. No, I don't think so. The pink gloves are bad enough. I have plain ol' white tape...

This morning my glutes are sore and stiff, and my elbows are still complaining. But it's Leg Day so I'm not particularly concerned about the tendonitis issues. Digging through a bag of old workout clothes that are slated for donation, I find several more pairs of unitards that were once too tight, or just simply out of style. I also find a Reebok unitard that's no longer manufactured. The legs are short, the tank straps are literally thick cottony strings and it's a soft absorbent fabric. It also fits so I put it on under my UnderArmour Shorts, Fila tank and Lands End hoodie. I'm a bit worried that I'm too tired to make my quotas but after the first Hill session, I'm not at all concerned about Intervals. That is until minute 18 when the middle two toes on my right foot go numb. Then my ring and index finger on my left hand go numb as well. I'm putting too much pressure on these extremities and I need to readjust my footing as well as my grips.
So that's over 700 calories?
Cool! I usually never look there...

Today's Leg Day Workout
35 min hill #6 = 4.0 miles + 35 min intervals #7 = 4.36 miles  Grand Total = 8.36 miles Wahoo!
Smith Machine Squats (an old guy is at the Smith so I reluctantly head over to the squat rack, but by the time I've adjusted the pegs, he's gone and the Smith is mine. Yippeee!):
12 @ bar (butt to heels) / 12 @ 95 lbs / 12 @ 115 lbs / 12 @ 135 lbs / 3 x 12 @ 145 lbs
I could probably go heavier but 145 lbs was when it finally registered that this felt heavy. 
I'm so lazy! I probably should've upped the weights several weeks ago, but better late than never...
Smith Straight Legged Dead Lifts: 12 @ 95 lbs / 5 x 12 @ 115 lbs
These never feel easy so upping the weight kicked my butt and I'm glad all the hard stuff is over.
Cage Stretch & Kicks
12 Pistol Squats alternating Legs
Seated Leg Curl: 15 @ 90 / 3 x 12 @ 105 lbs
Seated Leg Extensions: 6 x 12 @ 75 lbs
Ab Crunch Station: 100
Mat Stretch

I've been told I have
"bull dog legs" but it
was said in admiration.
Two skinny HS guys come over while I'm squatting. I'm not sure why guys insist on doing shrugs with ridiculous amount of weights before doing other more meaningful exercises, like bench press or squats. I strip off my drenched hoodie to do dead lifts and the guys seem intimidated. I laugh to myself because I find it funny, but it'd be mean to gloat. Meanwhile ZZ is floating about, but he seems harmless enough these days. At least he's not getting in my way. There's not a lot of regulars today. I see M briefly, and B not at all. My knees and ankles feel pretty good doing squats. It's my left elbow that complains about it. But it's my right hip that seems to suffer from the Dead Lifts, although the elbows are not happy doing this movement either. Well, you can't make everyone happy all the time.

By the time I get to Mat Stretches I'm "stick a fork in me and call it done". Wednesday is an odd day because it's horrendously busy in the morning, virtually abandoned by mid-morning, and then shows new signs of life by noon, just as I'm leaving. Just as well. I hate crowds. The scale surprises me with a reading of 108.4 lbs, but my stomach starts growling while I'm showering. Wow, I'm not usually hungry so quickly. The Ensure soothes my belly while I sit in the car, but I'm ravenous again just a few hours later. I wonder what's going on! Well, duh... I am lifting heavier. And going to kickboxing. And eating things like arugula with cottage cheese instead of ciabatta bread and pepperjack cheese. Tomorrow we plan to go to kickboxing again. I'll probably need a nap first.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...