Friday, April 26, 2013

Satisfaction on a Friday

Smith rack as Pull Up bar
The heat kicks on this morning before I take the dog for his walk. It's 37°F and I've got my winter parka on over a fleece hoodie, boots and gloves. I know that by noon, it'll be in the tropical 70s so I'll have to pack my gym bag accordingly. The parking lot is very crowded so I'm momentarily worried but fears are allayed by the chatter of Zumba and RPM class jockeys. If I time it right, I can usually avoid the crowds and do everything in my routine.

I don't write anything down. Perhaps I should. I've seen people enter their stats into their phones but it always seems that they spend a lot more time on their phones than on working out. Maybe that's just me. Apparently not everyone thinks it's normal to workout the way I do. But I get results and no one can argue with that.

My cardio is a tad weak this morning. I'm not on my regular ellliptical and the peddles wobble a bit on this one. I know I'm not making my quota but I'm ever hopeful in spite of developing a stitch halfway through the session. It's a nasty stitch that starts inside my lower right hip and travel up the side and across the bottom of my rib cage, ie, the diaphragm. I grit my teeth and peddle faster. Eventually I win because the stitch melts away. I'm tired and I know my workout is not going to be as good as earlier this week, but I figure I might surprise myself so I'm not throwing in the towel just yet.

Today's Pull Workout:
35 min cardio = 3.96 miles Bleah!
Seated Cable Rows: 12 @ 90 / 10 @ 105 / 8 @ 120 / 6, 5, 6 @ 135 lbs (these feel awfully hard today)
Pull Ups: 12+3 legs curled to chest / 10+2 legs straight out
Cage Stretch & Kicks
Pull Ups: 10+2 legs to chest / 8+2 legs straight out
Reverse Grip Bent-Over BB Rows: 15 @ 90 lbs / 6 x 12+3 @ 95 lbs
If I wasn't so tired I'd consider upping the weight again but maybe not today
Seated Alternating DB Curls: 3 x 12 @ 25 lbs (the last set I have to stop at rep 8 for a few seconds before finishing the set)
It gets really crowded in the DB area with The Mayor, Fish Guy, Tall Pace and a few others all jockeying for benches or spotting each other through DB flyes or pull overs.
Ab Crunch Station: 100
Lower Back Extensions: 2 x 25 @ 97.5 lbs
BB Curls: 15 @ 40 lbs / 4 x 15 @ 45 lbs
Reverse Grip BB Curls: 3 x 20 @ 40 lbs
And just for fun, but mostly to see if I can, I go do another set of pull ups, and then a set of chin ups:
Pull Ups: 10+2
Chin Ups: 8+1
Mat Stretch
Nexersys station: I do a QuickStart intro round and get the buzzer to sound at least a half dozen times that I'm either kicking or punching too hard. But I don't hurt myself today and I'm still surprised at how much more of a wallop my right cross packs compared to my left jab.

I see Mo briefly as well as a few other ladies. The scale reads 108.2 which confirms my suspicions that I've indeed put on some size/weight. I feel pretty satisfied and plan on getting some lamb chops for dinner. At the supermarket I get ambushed by V who virtually insists that I give him a ride to the gym next Monday. He wants my phone number. I tell him that R, his partner, has it because he's the social director of our Lake Association. He doesn't care that I'm taking my son to school that morning. He vaguely threatens that next time when I need a ride... and I'm thinking "well, I wouldn't want a ride from you" but I'm too polite to voice it. Luckily, after he disappears back into the store, I see R waiting in the car, and we have a rather lengthy conversation about what just transpired. Yes, there's something wrong with V, R admits, and tells me that he's under a neurologist's care, has some symptoms of Parkinson's... I apologize to R because I know how hard it is to be a caregiver, and then I tell him that I think V is developing Alzheimer's. He says he'll talk to V because there's no reason for him to force me to give him a ride. And I don't want V knocking at my door Monday morning.

Tomorrow we're going to Medieval Times in NJ, right after Chinese School and kung fu. It won't be the same as the Renaissance Fair because there's only non-alcoholic beverages. Gosh, I do enjoy a good cup of mead! I discovered absinthe at a local liquor store but haven't been brave enough to try it yet. It's the fabled drink of poets and madmen... luckily, it's been cleaned-up a bit and promises to be a lot more mellow that it's reputation. I get my final bra order from LuluLu.com and it's a lacey underwire (why a 36AAA would need an underwire beats me) with a touch of modest no-peek padding. I have a few thin-as-paper T-shirts that require such an undergarment because this summer will probably be a scorcher. I just want to be prepared!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...