Monday, April 1, 2013

Happy April Fool's

The sun came out, went back in, then it rained, then the sun came back out. The weather's confused and so am I. The morning did not have an auspicious start when I discovered what appeared to be but was not chocolate pudding all over the kitchen floor. The mess didn't smell appetizing either. The dog had gotten a lick of spice rub off the discarded foil tossed hastily atop the garbage can when my husband decided to try his hand at a real pulled pork, ie, smoked on the Weber for 2-3 hours over smoldering apple chips, then wrapped tight in aluminum foil and baked at 225°F until the meat's internal temperature read 205°F, then left overnight, still tightly wrapped and bundled in an old towel buried inside a small cooler. The pulled pork was deliciously moist and didn't even need BBQ sauce. Unfortunately, the dog needs some boiled white rice and lots of fresh water.

I got to the gym still feeling discombobulated and out of sorts. Not enough time to finish my instant coffee nor make oatmeal with an egg. I had my oatmeal plain today but at least I ate something. I'm not really happy with my new cheap Sony headphones either because they're designed with the right ear wire long and looping while the left side is short and taut, and the soft-over-the-ear clips seem finicky. I really miss my old Phillips headphones. Still, I'm pleased to hop onto Precor #3 which glides smoothly and I manage a good pace of 195-205 SPM until the 25th minute when I develop a stitch on the right side (naturally). Gasping every now and then, I manage to finish the course at just a tad over 4 miles. That's okay with me: I was expecting another dismal "barely 3.5 miles".

I can't get my nerve up to ask anyone for a spot. There are people about but I don't want to ask the guys closest to the bench because not only do I not know them, they don't really appear to know what they're doing either. Actually, they're staring waaaay too much, which leads me to believe that they're just tourists.

Today's Total Workout:
35 min cardio = 4.05 miles
Smith Bench Press: 12 @ bar / 25 @ 95 / 12 @ 115 / 12 @ 135 / 12, 10, 11 @ 145 lbs / 12 @ 125 / 25 @ 105 lbs
During the 2nd set at 145 lbs, I've moved my hands too close together and my right elbow and shoulder aren't aligned, causing me to weaken considerably by the 10th rep. It's not a good feeling. Body positioning is critical during whole body movements like bench pressing.
Cage Stretch & Kicks: I move out of the cage to practice my kicks better because I'm relying on the cage itself to hold me upright when I toss a kick out. It's harder to stand flat on the floor and practice. Returning to the cage, I stretch my leg out on the bar that's a few inches higher than my head.
Reverse Grip BB Rows: 3 x 15 @ 80 lbs (It's not Back Day but the DB area is so crowded I can't get in there and I need to stay warm so I mindlessly grab the 80 lb BB and do a few sets to warm up my arms and shoulders. I'm thinking I need to use 85 lbs tomorrow.)
Inclined Seated Rear DB: 6 x 15 @ 25 lbs (I've changed my routine by doing the heaviest sets first)
Lateral DB Raises: 6 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Tricep Press Down
I wish I could get a photo of me doing these because my arms, shoulders and pecs look so impressively defined that even I'm in awe. Kidding.
One-Arm Tricep DB Extensions: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs (the 25 lb DB stresses my wrists & thumbs too much so I've dropped my weight down again)
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: 125
Lower Ab Kick Outs: 100
Tricep Press Downs: 12, 12, 11 @ 50 lbs
Torso Twist Station: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs
Mat Stretch

When I gather my gear, I notice a kid hanging off the railing while trying to curl a 25 lb DB. Not only does he look ridiculous, he's probably going to hurt himself. There are regulars in the gym today but I don't see or hear The Mayor. I do see M, the CrossFit gals (it's hard not to notice them in fluorescent yellow T-shirts leaping up and down with DB in the air), OJ (orange jeep), tall Pace, skinny Mustache, Hannibal Baggy Knees. Some of the snow birds are back too, tan and wrinkly. B says Hi before she runs out the door. I chat briefly with V and C. R and his brother come in late and I wave Bye to him as I'm leaving.

The gym scale reads 109.6 lbs which is better than last week when I ate all sorts of bad-for-you bakery goods. This weekend we noshed mostly on pulled-pork. The Easter Bunny did come to our house and left a basket of candy as well as a small grey egg-shaped floppy rabbit plush, but apparently the Tooth Fairy has been put on notice that we'll be expecting her soon. Tomorrow's Back and Biceps Day, which I always enjoy, but it'll have to be an abbreviated workout because school's a half day due to rescheduled Parent-Teacher Conferences. It's always something....

I'll be bringing my son to the gym twice a week during the first 5 weeks of summer as well, since we've change our Summer Camp schedule to include more variety this year. I'm glad he doesn't mind. I've noticed that male behavior has changed significantly toward me since I brought my son in last week and introduced him to Mo who was stretching out in the Mat Area. The regulars seem almost embarrassed to look at me now. I can hear their limbic systems screaming "Mommies are a different species!" Human behavior can be so amusing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...