Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Perils of Chatting

Some days I have to constantly remind myself what day it is and what routine I'm following. Today is my 2nd Push Day so that means Chest, Shoulders and Triceps. But nothing is set in stone. You need to adapt to whatever the situation calls for. It's only after I toss all my gear into the locker that I realize that I've left my iPod on the charger at home. Bummer! Luckily I have tunes loaded on my phone and the Sony headphones tucked in a side pocket of my gym bag. I'd just finished adjusting them with black electrical tape so they shouldn't be quite as annoying. And the music sounds good with them.

I can put my phone on the shelf above the display on the Precor. Luckily, I'm not wearing the comfy yoga pants today, but the slightly more fitted workout pants with the B&W animal print waistband. It's that waistband that secures my phone to my body when I go lift weights. And I have a pretty decent workout overall. Except that I let B distract me right before I set up to do my heavy set on the Smith machine. After she leaves, I forget to double check what I've put on the bar and lift less that I'd planned. I'm so lucky this was the Smith because uneven plating on a free weight machine would've been a disaster! It's two sets later that I realize my mistake but now I'm a bit spent. So I drop my weights and up my reps, ending with 25 reps with 95 lbs. It's still a good workout. But lesson learned here is to always double-check your plating!

Today's Total Workout:
35 minutes = 4.02 miles Yay!
Smith Bench: 25 @ bar / 12 @ 95 / 10 @ 115 / 8 @ 135 / 11, 7 @ 145 (I meant to do 6 reps at 155 and had my bar unevenly weighted with a 25 lb plate & two 10s on one side, and 25 lbs & three 10s on the other side!) / 4 @ 155 / 12 @ 135 / 12 @ 115 / 25 @ 95 lbs
Cage Stretch & Kicks
Seated Inclined DB Raises: 6 x 15 @ 25 lbs
Lateral DB Raises: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Lateral DB Raises SuperSet with One-Arm Tricep Extensions: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: 125
Close Grip Thumbless Benching (for triceps): 4 x 25 @ bar (45 lbs) I avoid doing Tricep Press Downs today because my right lower back is still sore over the hip bone and doing heavy weight with this movement definitely calls abdominals and obliques into play.
Mat Stretch: my stretches and splits are all really good today and I'm really happy.

Nexersys: I just can't resist tossing on my pink gloves and doing another 3 intro sessions just for fun. I'm getting better at pulling my punches so that I don't constantly have the buzzer go off warning me that I'm punching too hard. Meanwhile, a dude puts on real boxing gloves and starts wailing away on the adjacent station. I enjoy myself even though my arms are getting a little tired. Damn I've been here a long time. I gotta take a shower!

Today I remember to weigh myself: 108.2 lbs. Like I was expecting something different? I shower and dress and assess myself in the mirror. I don't really look any different, except perhaps my upper arms are a tad thicker. Fully dressed I look like any other petite woman. I feel like a superhero in cognito, and I like that. We should all feel like superheros in our everyday lives!

Earlier there was too much melodrama in the locker room: an elderly lady was in tears that she'd been told that she was unwelcomed at her favorite Zumba class. She's 93 years old and doesn't move too quickly, but she manages to drive her little Smart Car to the gym. Another woman explained in a whisper to me that some members are afraid of knocking her down, and her water bottle spilt on the wooden floor. I know those classes are packed elbow to elbow. I'm too claustrophobic and anti-social to even consider looking at a class. Good for me!

Tomorrow is Back and Biceps Day. I'll be a bit more vigilant about chatting and keeping an eye on what I'm suppose to be doing. Normally I don't chat at all. I see a lot of regulars but maybe I'm giving off some freaky "don't @%&! with me" vibe because everyone keeps a good clear distance from me. It probably doesn't help that I go and punch the boxing system for a good 10 minutes AFTER my workout. I see M, the Mayor, skinny Mustache, ZZ, PJPants, and eventually, R and I don't say nothing to anyone except the CrazyHair gal who usually works the child care room. I commend her on being at the gym to work out! She's all smiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...