Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Magic Word is Persistence

The Google news top health story caught my eye because of it's sheer inanity. Sadly, it's probably true -- women, envious of Michelle Obama's toned arms are opting for liposuction to suck away all that excess fat and flab. Of course, if you have flabby, undeveloped muscles under all that dingle dangle, you're still not going to have that coveted "toned" look. But you will have scars. And possibly complications. And the fat will eventually come back. It's unlikely that if you have fat arms, that the rest of you is skinny. Unlikely, but not impossible. I suppose that's not relevant if you're wearing a nice loose tank top...

Or you could just exercise, and not eat a lot of crap. Hmmm. That would be too simple, and take too long. People don't seem to have the ability to focus on long-term goals anymore. Not without chatting with all their friends, making everything a fun group activity, a class, a party. Perhaps as much as we've aged (hell, I'm 53 and it's still shocking to me!), we haven't actually grown up out of high school. At least mentally. 

This week's post on nerdfitness.com was especially relevant because it focused on the number one trait determining success. Steve (Kamb) calls it "grit" as in true grit, not as in "Kiss my grits." It's that nose-to-the-grindstone attitude that marks us as unsociable, unfriendly, determined, directed or just plain "too intense." Perhaps it's something learned in childhood when you're not the popular kid with a lot of friends and toys, but the weird kid off by him/herself tracking the progress of inchworms, or examining light as it refracts through water. It's also an indifference to what the rest of the world thinks, what's new and what's trendy. People are easily distracted with shiny new things that may or may not work. It's just new and shiny. I like the basics. I like simplicity. I do basic exercises. I don't have a lot of variety (I don't really need it). Yep, I'm a weenie-nerd.

Today's Pull Day Workout:
35 min cardio = 4.07 miles Yay!
I'm gratified to read in the NYT that research has now shown cool downs to be a waste of time. I peddle through the elliptical "cool down" as fast or faster than the previous 30 minutes without any issues. I'm generally not very sore the next day either. 
Seated Cable Rows: 12 @ 90 lbs / 10 @ 105 / 8 @ 120 / 3 x 6 @ 135 lbs
The last sets are heavy and not pretty, but I can control the weights enough to set them gently down when I finish each set. There's nothing I hate more than someone slamming the weights down at the end of each set. It's sloppy and shows a lack of control. 
Pull Ups at Smith Rack: 12+3 (legs curled to chest) / 12 (legs straight out)
Cage Stretch & Kicks
Pull Ups at Smith Rack: 12 (legs curled to chest) / 10+2 (legs straight out)
Reverse Grip BB Rows: 15 @ 90 lbs / 6 x 12 @ 95 lbs
The first set feels heavy but it gets easier as I warm up and I'm reluctant to end at 6 sets.
Seated Alternating DB Curls: 12, 10, 10 @ 25 lbs
My left forearm is twinging a bit and I can't complete the sets. I'm sure the pull ups are wreaking havoc on my forearms but I don't want to give them up.
Pull Ups: 12+2 (legs curled to chest)
Lower Back Extensions: 2 x 25 @ 97.5 lbs
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: 125
Lower Ab Kickouts: 100
Not sure if my husband and I are making it to kickboxing tonight, so I don't want to work abs too hard.
BB Curls: 15 @ 40 lbs / 4 x 12 @ 45 lbs
I think these are key to my biceps suddenly looking so good!
Reverse Grip BB Curls: 3 x 20 @ 40 lbs
These hurt like hell but I just grimace and pace like a cage tiger between sets.
Chin Ups (just to see if I can!): 12 (legs straight out)
I only do one set because the Chin Ups hurt my left forearm worse than Pull Ups do.
Mat Stretch

I see a lot of regulars now that the threat of summer is imminent. Summer means T-shirts, tank tops and shorts, and no place to hide except inside. I note that B's arms don't seem to have ever recovered from her time off last winter when she and her husband went on vacation. They've lost their tone and look soft, but perhaps that's what happens when you're a sunbathing 60 year old. M, the Mayor, 5 o'clock, Skinny Mustache, Tall Pace, PJ Pants, Skinny J, even R. Yep, they're all here today. I don't notice the women much but I'm not one to make eye contact with anyone I don't know, and even some I do know. I catch sight of V in my peripheral vision and quickly move to another corner of the gym. Later, as I'm leaving, I see V having coffee with another guy, and I wave quickly and exit before V can say anything to me. I've learned my lesson and won't invite conversation, not even a "How're you doing?" because, like a needy 4 year old, he'll impose himself on your politeness. I have a kid, and he's a million times more mature and polite than V.

The scale reads 110.0 lbs. Very reasonable. In the mirror, I look soft and smooth. I'm putting on weight but I don't think it's fat. At roughly 19% body fat, I'm at the low end for my age but nowhere near the 12-14% required to appear hard and chiseled (for a woman). I don't need to do that. But I admit that I enjoy getting proper respectful attention. I've joined a few online forums (muscleandstrength.com, and bodybuilding.com) just for advice and feedback. When you work out solo, it's nice to get positive comments without worrying whether they're trying to hit on you. I don't believe in crazy diets, and I don't really supplement, except for the Ensure® 25 gm high protein RTD after each workout because I do believe that muscles need to be fed high quality protein in order to grow and recuperate. It helps that the Ensure is lactose-free with a neutral taste and good mouth-feel.

My husband teases me that we ought to invent a contraption that puts paying clients into a coma that allows us to exercise their bodies for months, so that when they wake up, they'll have the hard bodies they want, but without any memory of having endured such grueling workouts. It's too bad I can't put persistence in a bottle and market it. I'd make a fortune.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...